diy solar

diy solar

growatt

Can you get the “US” split phase hybrid models?

I have a Growatt spf 12000t dvm and a MPPSolar LV5048, and they both have been okay. For being low frequency the Growatt has actually been pretty efficient. I have data from my Nuvation BMS and the Growatt and it has always been above 90% efficient - which surprises me (sometimes it calculates out to 95% at certain loads but I don’t believe it).

I would like to get Deye’s instead, as I can’t bring myself to pay for the Sol-Ark as I’m all budget/second hand DIY type solar.
That is pretty good but you might want to try with two accurate clamp meters, one dc and one AC to get a more accurate reading. Thats fantastic though if its true. I wouldn't expect that of a cheaper low frequency inverter. I have a nifty magnum and I doubt it reaches 90% even at peak.

That is pretty good but you might want to try with two accurate clamp meters, one dc and one AC to get a more accurate reading. Thats fantastic though if its true. I wouldn't expect that of a cheaper low frequency inverter. I have a nifty magnum and I doubt it reaches 90% even at peak.
I need to do that. Most of the time under light load, 100w-1kw, it appears to be closer to 80%. It hits the higher efficiencies from 2-6kw it looks like. I don’t have all the data for when I load tested everything after installing, so I only have up to 9kw right now, and only 5kw with no PV input.

I need to do that. Most of the time under light load, 100w-1kw, it appears to be closer to 80%. It hits the higher efficiencies from 2-6kw it looks like. I don’t have all the data for when I load tested everything after installing, so I only have up to 9kw right now, and only 5kw with no PV input.
That sounds about right. Most inverters have terrible efficiencies at light loads but yeah, definitely clamp it and see. I wouldn't knock it for low load inefficiency, even high end inverters suffer as well.

Can you get the “US” split phase hybrid models?
I have had them shipped to a US address before and I don't think it will be an issue in the future. My main concern, later on, is the warranty. Will they honor it knowing it's installed in NA (North America)? Probably but that remains to be seen.

If it’s not even possible to slip the US model in, can the 240V out be setup with inverse CTs and transform through the meter for zero export like the little blue GTIL2s (that are/were also made by Deye)? Then just autotransformer for the critical load path off the inverter?
At the moment I don't see why not. Basically you would connect L1 and L2 to the N and L inputs of the inverter. The only issue is to make sure that there isn't any ground bond between N and PE internally in the inverter. Or if there is, remove it. I don't believe there is but I have to confirm this. Outside of that, an AT on the load output should take care of everything. You would only use a single CT on the input (L) though because L1 and L2 are carrying the load as a single circuit.

I have had them shipped to a US address before and I don't think it will be an issue in the future. My main concern, later on, is the warranty. Will they honor it knowing it's installed in NA (North America)? Probably but that remains to be seen.

At the moment I don't see why not. Basically you would connect L1 and L2 to the N and L inputs of the inverter. The only issue is to make sure that there isn't any ground bond between N and PE internally in the inverter. Or if there is, remove it. I don't believe there is but I have to confirm this. Outside of that, an AT on the load output should take care of everything. You would only use a single CT on the input (L) though because L1 and L2 are carrying the load as a single circuit.
So for me I would probably roll the dice on the US model, but for my brother-in-law's setup I would use the EU model.

If there wasn't that ground bond I would hypothetically connect the EU model like their diagram:
Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 10.59.55 AM.png
With the inverter across L1 and L2 with two CTs and it would end up making zero export to the grid by adding up to zero at the CTs but actually be transforming through the meter at the nearest split-phase transformer. That's how I had the GTIL2 setup at 240V.

I would use an autotransformer just for his backup loads.

For my setup I actually don't have any major complaints about the off-grid Growatt other then having to manually manage switching between off-grid and bypass mode depending on the Sun, if I get a cloudy day I manually switch it to bypass because I don't want to deep cycle the battery and want to keep it above 80% in case there is an extended grid outage. If they would allow me to set the switch to bypass voltage higher so that I can keep my battery power in reserve for power outages then I could basically never touch it, that's why this Deye is appealing to me: I can do zero grid export, hold whatever power in reserve that I want, and do seamless switching to off-grid mode. I'm sure being a high-frequency inverter with its efficiency would do well for me too, without needing the low frequency inverter just to start loads.

Edit: I guess thinking about it, I could put his whole house on the backup loads, and put the AC compressor and drier on smart load?

Last edited:
I am also trying to pick a 48v all in one and am finding it rather overwhelming. I have a quote for the MPP 3048LV-MK I probably need to ask them about the LV 6548, though I could get 2 of the smaller units parallel them to run the well pump... but then Will does the video of the new Growatt SPF3000TL LVM and teases one about the new renology.

The Deye options seem pretty cool if they can be controlled programmatically... @the_colorist how should I learn more about the Deye options for the US?

I am planning on a 12v 1kw (Mpp 1012LV-MS) all in one for the shed and between 3kw & 6kw 48v for the house.

I am also trying to pick a 48v all in one and am finding it rather overwhelming. I have a quote for the MPP 3048LV-MK I probably need to ask them about the LV 6548, though I could get 2 of the smaller units parallel them to run the well pump... but then Will does the video of the new Growatt SPF3000TL LVM and teases one about the new renology.

The Deye options seem pretty cool if they can be controlled programmatically... @the_colorist how should I learn more about the Deye options for the US?

I am planning on a 12v 1kw (Mpp 1012LV-MS) all in one for the shed and between 3kw & 6kw 48v for the house.

What is the power draw of your well pump?

The Deye is the best features/price IMO, but is gray market for in the US as Sol-Ark has an exclusive deal for their version of the product. It probably only exists for various areas outside of the US that use split phase power.

Recent video I saw of 6548:

Last edited:
The well pump is only 1/2 hp. I haven't measured the surge. I am looking into converting it to a 1hp (746w) which would probably far more affordable than parallel inverters.

The Deye is the best features/price IMO, but is gray market for in the US as Sol-Ark has an exclusive deal for their version of the product. It probably only exists for various areas outside of the US that use split phase power.
We're in Belize so this isn't an issue but in the states one could possibly have warranty issues. IMHO I would almost risk it for the quality/price but that's just me. I might even be able to use my contacts import units for forum members.

The Deye units are head and shoulders above the rest IMHO. Seem to be tough as nails. We also work with one of Deye's major distributors and they claim zero failures on units shipped. We recently took a 5KW 120V/240V and ran an old 15A table saw while using 2 ~8A belt sanders at the same time. Didn't even break a sweat. I think we could have used 2x table saws to be honest. When the table saw started, the voltage didn't even drop. Took off like a shot or essentially like it was connected to the grid..

I had some installers tell me they have had 6KW Growatt's trip off just starting a small well pump... And we generally don't touch anything Voltronic (the OEM for MPP Solar and many other brands).

Here is the manual and the datasheet. Missed it on my last post. If you would like further information feel free to leave a note and I'll see what I can get for you. Deye recently removed information on these units completely from their site. At this point, unless a person knows who to ask and where to look, getting information or even purchasing these units can be tough.

Attachments

• SUN-5-8k-sg01lp1-useu-ver2.0-deye.pdf
    6.7 MB · Views: 25
  • DEYE-hybridinvertersun-5-6k-sg01lp1-ussun-7.6-8k-sg01lp1-us-eu.pdf
    371 KB · Views: 26
Here is the manual and the datasheet. Missed it on my last post. If you would like further information feel free to leave a note and I'll see what I can get for you. Deye recently removed information on these units completely from their site. At this point, unless a person knows who to ask and where to look, getting information or even purchasing these units can be tough.
How do you monitor the performance of DEYE? is it cloud based like Powerview for Sol-Ark, can you see the data directly on your PC?

I installed the Growatt SPF 6000T in our off-grid home in Baja, Mexico a couple months ago. We have 4500W of panels, and 8 12V 250A-hr lead-carbon AGM batteries, two strings in parallel giving 48V and 500 A-hr.

So far I love it. I have just installed two mini-split air conditioners in the house. A 1-ton unit keeps the battery/control room at 75F (with window to the bathroom adding some cooling to the house). Then a 1.5 ton unit in the living room. We turn on the air conditioners at about 8am and run them all day. PV powers the house loads and also charges the batteries until around 5:30pm when we turn down the AC, and both are off by 7pm. With a well insulated house we keep the ceiling fans running all night and the house warms to about 84F overnight, which is totally tolerable with a ceiling fan over your bed. So far so good!! It will get hotter here for July, Aug, Sept so we will see how it keeps up - I'm still improving on house and battery room insulation. No AC needed for the other 8 months of the year, need to find some other way to use the excess power - maybe an electric motorcycle, haha :)

The Growatt ShinePhone app is not designed with the best user experience, but once you get comfortable it provides and excellent instant check on your phone on how your system is doing at any time. Their website dashboard is much better with nice graphs of power usage, battery status, PV, etc - here's a web screenshot from yesterday, and a phone screenshot just now.

Anyway, so far so good - very happy with this setup and the Growatt.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-26 12.14.04 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-26 12.14.04 PM.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20210626-122135.png
    Screenshot_20210626-122135.png
    272.1 KB · Views: 11
I installed the Growatt SPF 6000T in our off-grid home in Baja, Mexico a couple months ago. We have 4500W of panels, and 8 12V 250A-hr lead-carbon AGM batteries, two strings in parallel giving 48V and 500 A-hr.

So far I love it. I have just installed two mini-split air conditioners in the house. A 1-ton unit keeps the battery/control room at 75F (with window to the bathroom adding some cooling to the house). Then a 1.5 ton unit in the living room. We turn on the air conditioners at about 8am and run them all day. PV powers the house loads and also charges the batteries until around 5:30pm when we turn down the AC, and both are off by 7pm. With a well insulated house we keep the ceiling fans running all night and the house warms to about 84F overnight, which is totally tolerable with a ceiling fan over your bed. So far so good!! It will get hotter here for July, Aug, Sept so we will see how it keeps up - I'm still improving on house and battery room insulation. No AC needed for the other 8 months of the year, need to find some other way to use the excess power - maybe an electric motorcycle, haha :)

The Growatt ShinePhone app is not designed with the best user experience, but once you get comfortable it provides and excellent instant check on your phone on how your system is doing at any time. Their website dashboard is much better with nice graphs of power usage, battery status, PV, etc - here's a web screenshot from yesterday, and a phone screenshot just now.

I just wish you could parallel them. Makes it easier to build up a system. I would like to parallel the 12 KW version and add extra charge controllers and go for a massive system. Its very cost effective.

84f is tolerable at night??? Not for me and my family. We need it to be a minimum of 74f with fans going to not sweat

I just wish you could parallel them. Makes it easier to build up a system. I would like to parallel the 12 KW version and add extra charge controllers and go for a massive system. Its very cost effective.
I thought you could parallel them, no? I was thinking about maybe doing this in the future if needed, as the house grows.

84f is tolerable at night??? Not for me and my family. We need it to be a minimum of 74f with fans going to not sweat
I guess we all have different tolerance levels. But I think depends a lot on humidity. Right now it is 86F outside and 84% humidity, and it is stifling hot out there, instant sweat just walking. In the house with AC just turned on we are at 82F and 50% humidity. The temps are not that different, but walking in from outside feels like you step into a freezer at first and is totally comfortable. The drying of the air from the AC is almost more important than the temperature drop (and you can collect the drain water for the garden). Another feature of a well sealed and insulated house is the humidity level doesn't increase much overnight after you turn the AC off. In the morning we will be 20% less humid than outside, even though the temperature has risen a few degrees.

Ah, ok, yeah that's what I have, the SPF 6000T. Oh well, I don't really see the need for more than 6000 W in my house. When we get to the garage, it will have it's own separate system. But good to know.
You could always add a separate breaker box and use one inverter for something like high draw items and the other common household use.

Back