diy solar

diy solar

Grundfos SQ pumps should be stickied to the top of this catagory.

A good choice, Wild01, the suggested pump price is very good with the link you provided. I hope the OP appreciates your time and effort.

Okay so my pump guy says he can't sell SQ pumps because they are too low quality. He will only sell me a SQE or an SQE flex. I should just pay an installer from another city to come out and services me shouldn't I?

Okay so my pump guy says he can't sell SQ pumps because they are too low quality. He will only sell me a SQE or an SQE flex. I should just pay an installer from another city to come out and services me shouldn't I?
Either that or do it yourself(this is a diy site?) there is nothing low quality about the sq pump line. Sqe and sqflex are nice pumps too but they are WAY more expensive and rarely a better choice IMO. Also I personally wouldn't buy a pump from an installer unless they where offering a really good warantee if you did that wasn't available if you didn't.

Either that or do it yourself(this is a diy site?) there is nothing low quality about the sq pump line. Sqe and sqflex are nice pumps too but they are WAY more expensive and rarely a better choice IMO. Also I personally wouldn't buy a pump from an installer unless they where offering a really good warantee if you did that wasn't available if you didn't.
I should probably do it myself. 130 feet of pipe isn't to daunting. Any links for good tutorials? I see Grundfos warranty is 5 years. I feel like my local pump guy wont beat that but its worth asking. I would still higher a plumber to do my pressure tank and what not.

Thanks for your help. This resource is amazing

130 feet of pipe isn't to daunting.
I concur - I installed mine myself as well. Pretty easy. I don't have any links to tutorials, but basically: connect the appropriate pipe to the pump, zip tie the electric cable to the pipe with ample slack, add the safety steel wire, and lower the entire thing down in the borehole. My well casing is fully underground, but if you have a well that comes up above surface and you're in a cold climate, dig down to below the frost line and provide a hole there in the well casing for your line going to the house. This is probably the most challenging aspect of it all.

I concur - I installed mine myself as well. Pretty easy. I don't have any links to tutorials, but basically: connect the appropriate pipe to the pump, zip tie the electric cable to the pipe with ample slack, add the safety steel wire, and lower the entire thing down in the borehole. My well casing is fully underground, but if you have a well that comes up above surface and you're in a cold climate, dig down to below the frost line and provide a hole there in the well casing for your line going to the house. This is probably the most challenging aspect of it all.
O yah bud shes waist deep snow out there. This was the hardest part in my mind aswell. I wanted to get the pump installed in the winter so I can test the water and order filters for the spring. Should I just pay someone to throw a test pump in and do my pump in the spring? Or will my pump be fine sitting over winter with water line coming out the top?

Agree with everything un&p has said. Things you'll need that I haven't seen mentioned.
Pitless adapter
Splice kit
I use drinkable black poly pipe down well, usually available at any local farm supply store. Pex would also work.
DON'T USE PVC down well, it's a b*tch to pull and will shatter like glass under it's own weight when it bends over as you are pulling it. Use all stainless clamps on the hose barbs. Don't reduce the pipe size from what the pump had on its output (1-1/4 on the 10sq)

Last edited:
Looks like im going the DIY route! Thanks for all the info in this thread. My pump guy quoted 7k for the pump and pressure tank install. I just bought the pump and pressure tank for 1900$. I know there are going to be lots of fittings and other parts that cost $ but It should cost less than 7k (including lessons learnt)

Looks like im going the DIY route! Thanks for all the info in this thread. My pump guy quoted 7k for the pump and pressure tank install. I just bought the pump and pressure tank for 1900$. I know there are going to be lots of fittings and other parts that cost $ but It should cost less than 7k (including lessons learnt)
We must have the same well driller.. Mine quoted me the same. I'm still debating. The flexibility of DC or AC and a much lower startup current is so appealing. Being able to run it off a 2200 watt Honda vs. my 7000watt 240 volt honda is big advantage..

I can’t under stand how the pump guys come up with the price but it dosent add up to me .
I had all kinds of prices from 6500 to 30k ?
I would use 1”sch 120 pvc and no ss wire the pipe cost 1$ a foot and real cased well Cable
I cut the hole for the Pit less adaptor with a hole saw from home Depto in 2 minutes .
The pvc just threads together really nothing to it .
We used pump tape every 10’ and 4” wire stand offs on every pipe
I put a check valve at the pump and one every 200 feet
we used a easy up well puller to drop the pump in the hole .
It took 4 hours with a lunch break and I had water pumping .
It uses little power 700 watts , and there is nothing to figure out it was easy .
the SQF pump solves a huge problem and makes pumping easy
1980E600-3533-495F-BA88-D448C484ACAA.jpeg

Last edited:
Well drilling is often regarded as one of those flimflam businesses. There are a few good ones, but they know they have you over a barrel especially in rural areas. How are you going to know if they hit water at 100 feet or 500 feet when they are charging by the foot? I have 500 foot drilled well, but I get better water from my hand dug well.

Well drilling is often regarded as one of those flimflam businesses. There are a few good ones, but they know they have you over a barrel especially in rural areas. How are you going to know if they hit water at 100 feet or 500 feet when they are charging by the foot? I have 500 foot drilled well, but I get better water from my hand dug well.
I got lucky with my well driller for sure. 30 gpm at 140'. 50' static. But At 59$ (cad) a foot my pump guy goes" Wow thats expensive!" then tells me its 7k for a pump and pressure tank..... And you are telling me the drilling was expensive?

I got lucky with my well driller for sure. 30 gpm at 140'. 50' static. But At 59$ (cad) a foot my pump guy goes" Wow thats expensive!" then tells me its 7k for a pump and pressure tank..... And you are telling me the drilling was expensive?
Well pumps are expensive. I have priced them, especially grundfos. I’ve heard nothing but good things about them. I will always buy quality, especially for something as critical as water…

Well pumps are expensive. I have priced them, especially grundfos. I’ve heard nothing but good things about them. I will always buy quality, especially for something as critical as water…
Yah after I got the quote It bought it myself from HERE. Even with a few hundred worth of drop pipe + pressure tank and fittings I should be under 7k. I know labor is a thing but its a 140 foot well.

900 seams pretty reasonable .
My well is to deep for that model
the SQF is more then double ☹️ The supply’s to install the pump will cost more then the pump
I think your pump will weigh 120lbs so no big deal , mine was 780 lbs .

900 seams pretty reasonable .
My well is to deep for that model
the SQF is more then double ☹️ The supply’s to install the pump will cost more then the pump
I think your pump will weigh 120lbs so no big deal , mine was 780 lbs .
When you say 120lbs is that the full weight that would be hanging from the pitless adapter? Also if I am just running the water for a few days w/o the pressure tank, what happens when the pump is turned on but the hose bib is closed? Does it just build pressure in the line? Is there a risk of burning out the pump? I plan on using 160 psi poly pipe for the drop and run to pressure tank.

I just called my local tool supply looking for a tool to assist in pump dropping and he informed me that it was illegal to drop your own pump in Canada and the only person that legally can do it lives 4 hours away IN THE USA!!! None of that is true. You DIY people are doing the right thing.

This is the entire "quote" from my plumber by the way:
Pump and tank 119 gallon 26 x 61 all fittings and labor $ 6900.00
Boiler all fittings, low loss header, baseboard
And labor$9700.00

I asked for more of cost break down and he ghosted me

That’s a lot of money , but things are crazy now .
I’ve been a contractor since the 82
And I don’t have a clue how much a job will cost me until it’s done
You don’t know if the material is available until you have it at the job

Back