diy solar

diy solar

Grundfos SQ pumps should be stickied to the top of this catagory.

When you say 120lbs is that the full weight that would be hanging from the pitless adapter? Also if I am just running the water for a few days w/o the pressure tank, what happens when the pump is turned on but the hose bib is closed? Does it just build pressure in the line? Is there a risk of burning out the pump? I plan on using 160 psi poly pipe for the drop and run to pressure tank.
I would use a sch120 pvc and a well puller like the one in the pic above .
100’ of pipe is 40 pounds the pump is 30ish and the wire
So 90lbs plus wire and fittings
So yes that is the weight with 1” we’ll drop pipe .
Pulling it with water is 40lbs more
You cant run a pump agents a close valve it could boil the water and burn up the pump
Orrrrrr blow the pump off the bottom of the pipe ?
I would use a a 6’ safety rope tied to the pipe and taped over so you can’t louse the pump .
Use pump tape
I pump into a open tank all I did is power the 120 v pump to a timer
Pumping for 30 min get me 180gallons
The cabin is Pressurized by 120 V RV pump with check valve and pressure switch

I’m sure you can rent a easy up like I have in the pic above it cost me 120 bucks for the weekend but my pump was down 700’ in a few hours

I would use a sch120 pvc and a well puller like the one in the pic above .
100’ of pipe is 40 pounds the pump is 30ish and the wire
So 90lbs plus wire and fittings
So yes that is the weight with 1” we’ll drop pipe .
Pulling it with water is 40lbs more
You cant run a pump agents a close valve it could boil the water and burn up the pump
Orrrrrr blow the pump off the bottom of the pipe ?
I would use a a 6’ safety rope tied to the pipe and taped over so you can’t louse the pump .
Use pump tape
I pump into a open tank all I did is power the 120 v pump to a timer
Pumping for 30 min get me 180gallons
The cabin is Pressurized by 120 V RV pump with check valve and pressure switch
People here in Canada were telling me to use this poly pipe. Tool rental place told me no one would rent anything that drops pumps. Im just gonna figure it out.

People here in Canada were telling me to use this poly pipe. Tool rental place told me no one would rent anything that drops pumps. Im just gonna figure it out.
That pipe will work fine. I prefer drinkable black poly over pvc. In my experience pvc is to brittle. It's much harder to pull. The only tool i use is a tee pipe threaded onto the top of the pitless another. Make sure you tie a pull cable to the pump, either stainless cable or high tensile poly tape. Anchor the top end of the pull cable BEFORE you start dropping the pump so if something does go wrong you can't lose the pump down the casing. Use steel pipe for the tee, use the tee to slide the pitless adapter Into place.
There are several good videos on YouTube. Lastly ALWAYS sanitize your well anytime you remove your well cover. Add a jug of bleach or a couple pool tabs, let it sit overnight and then pump to flush the next day.

That pipe will work fine. I prefer drinkable black poly over pvc. In my experience pvc is to brittle. It's much harder to pull. The only tool i use is a tee pipe threaded onto the top of the pitless another. Make sure you tie a pull cable to the pump, either stainless cable or high tensile poly tape. Anchor the top end of the pull cable BEFORE you start dropping the pump so if something does go wrong you can't lose the pump down the casing. Use steel pipe for the tee, use the tee to slide the pitless adapter Into place.
There are several good videos on YouTube. Lastly ALWAYS sanitize your well anytime you remove your well cover. Add a jug of bleach or a couple pool tabs, let it sit overnight and then pump to flush the next day.
thanks for the tips

Have you asked about a well puller at the rental place ?
Sch 120 pvc is almost indestructible it dosent split or crack .
With pvc you can cut a a Metal plate with a 1” groove that sits on top of the well head and drop 20 ‘ of pipe at a time
You don’t need a wire to hold the pump it just hangs off the pipe .
I would use the 200psi pipe if you go that way

I just went out to check the static level of my well. It is supposed to be at 50ft static but the water is like 6ft from ground level. There is a rope with alot of slack left at the top, whatever is at the bottom of the rope is resting on something. I asked the drillers and I am waiting for a response. Any clues?

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    362 KB · Views: 7
whatever is at the bottom of the rope is resting on something.

Are you sure it's resting on something and it's not the resistance of the connected pipe you're feeling? I'm assuming the well pump connections (both power and the water pipe) are below ground. Having water closer to the surface is normal in spring.

Are you sure it's resting on something and it's not the resistance of the connected pipe you're feeling? I'm assuming the well pump connections (both power and the water pipe) are below ground. Having water closer to the surface is normal in spring.
Sorry what do you mean by connected pipe? There is no pump, wires or pitless adapter in the well yet. I opened the well cap for the first time and found this rope. Still no word back from the driller. I am thinking maybe it is something for chlorination? It is so tight to pull

Sorry what do you mean by connected pipe? There is no pump, wires or pitless adapter in the well yet. I opened the well cap for the first time and found this rope. Still no word back from the driller. I am thinking maybe it is something for chlorination? It is so tight to pull

Chart it down to me being tired... never mind, I thought that was an existing installed well you just took the cap off. I forgot the rest of the thread when I replied.

If there is anyone still reading this thread, can someone tell me if my idea to run a 6SQF3 that is 500 feet deep, into a 50psi 30gal pressure tank, off a $200 110v output "Solar Generator" will work? See thread here:

But the chart says it can pump 625 feet at 300 watts?

That's the output power of the pump. You need to look at the input electrical power. That said, the pump has a soft-start built in, so you might get away with it, but I wouldn't bet on it unless you can return the pump if it doesn't work.

That's the output power of the pump. You need to look at the input electrical power. That said, the pump has a soft-start built in, so you might get away with it, but I wouldn't bet on it unless you can return the pump if it doesn't work.
Is there any way to figure out the minimum starting wattage of this pump? There isn't any way to contact Grundfos and ask them. I have tried.

Grundfos advertises this pump as a solution for non-typical situations. You would think they would make such basic information available.

Last edited:

/

I have been guessing it means, for example, if I intersect the 625 foot curve, and 600 watts, the pump will output about 2.5 gal/min?

Or another example, if I input 300 watts, it can push a 490 foot column of water, above the water/air interface of the well, at 2.0 gal/min.

But trying to push 820 feet over the surface of the water, with 300 watts, intersects 0.0 gal/min. So the pump cannot push 820 feet unless it has minimum 520watts input power.

Anyway, I really just don't understand what that graph means. I do not have enough info, and there is no explanation to the graph on the Grundfos page.
1686684750313-png.152770

I did. I sent them multiple emails several months ago. No response. I gave up. I was hoping someone here would know, or maybe see some specification that I missed. I guess I'll send them another email and see what happens.

Interesting. I have contacted them in the past, but that was here in Europe but that won't really help you. Maybe try one of their phone numbers?

Back