diy solar

diy solar

GRUNDFOS SQ series – 120 volt AC Submersible Pump

wiseacre

Solar Enthusiast
Musing what to do in case of a grid outage and how to keep the water running. Remembering the ice storm of '98 when the grid was down for 3 weeks.

Replacing the existing submersible 1/2hp/230v pump with a Grundfos 120v pump seems too simple to be real compared with buying a generator and even more so trying to do it with a solar system that would require a transformer to handle 240v and the surge. Overall the price of the pump is very reasonable considering the cost of the other options.

The soft start built into the pump seems to solve the problems I would have to deal with using my existing pump.

I saw in the description: https://backwoodssolar.com/product/grundfos-1-2-hp-10gpm-pump-kit-2/
Reduce maximum lift by 92 feet if used to pressurize a bladder tank to 40 PSI. Reduce maximum lift by 92 feet if used to pressurize a bladder tank to 40 PSI.

The lift is not a problem. I have a good supply at 50 ft. What I wonder is the 40 PSI, can it go higher? I have a 40/60 pressure switch, do I need to replace it? I can live with lower pressure if need be. Would a 30/50 PSI switch be suitable?

Is installing a receptacle (120v) to plug in the pressure switch wiring into so it's easy to disconnect and then plug into the inverter's power supply a reasonable idea?

I'm sure there are other things to consider but don't have the knowledge to know what. Any additional considerations and pointers are welcome.

I have an SQ-5 120V Softstart in my well. 260' deep, pushes to a 50 Gallon Pressure tank, then another 75' to house. Cutoff set to 52PSI cut in at 42PSI. There is a Primary Sediment Filter and then a Fine particulate Filter (RainFresh Water Systems filtration) https://rainfresh.ca/residential-water-filters-canada

When the Pump starts, it begins at 550W and stages up quickly, finishing at 1100W once it reaches 52PSI cutoff. In the home, when in a shower or whatever, you never notice a water pressure change. I did however plumb, 3/4" into the house to a Termination Point which splits it to 1/2" for Cold & 1/2" for the On-Demand Hot Water heater.

Because I am OFFGRID and 100% Solar with backups I still take into account that Murphy's Laws can always end up applying themselves at the worst of times. My PumpHouse & Powerhouse are one combined building, separate from the house. The Pump is actually wired to HD 12/2 Flexible cord and plugged into a CGFI Plug. The plug is obviously powered by the Solar System kit but at the drop of a hat, I can just plug the well pump into an extension cord to one of my Generators and "voila mon amis".

I have an SQ-5 120V Softstart in my well.
Cutoff set to 52PSI cut in at 42PSI.
The Pump is actually wired to HD 12/2 Flexible cord and plugged into a CGFI
Music to my ears. Sounds like my reasoning wasn't far fetched after all.

I have a small system 1560w (195w panels x 8 and growing) that I set up for my maple sugar shack. Not wanting to waste power in the off season I added an ATS and load center so now power goes to the house that I run my aquariums off of. Adding another outlet for the pump would be easy.

Two receptacles, grid and solar next to each other with a good plug and cord going to the pressure switch ?

N.E. Ontario ~ God's country IMO ~ my grandparents ran a hunting/fishing "lodge" in Matachewan.
I'm just north of the Adirondacks (US side), St Lawrence County.

Back