diy solar

diy solar

GTIL inverter info needed

Texas-Mark

Solar Addict
I am looking for a grid-tie inverter (no batteries) that has wireless current sensors. I remember reading a thread that had what I was looking for, but I can't find it now. I recall reading that it (the one in the thread) had a "fail safe" setting that if it could not read the sensors it would throttle back to whatever setting you put in. Anyone know what model that was, or any model for that matter that has wireless sensors?

i don't know about the wireless sensor, but those SUN GTIL 1000/2000w has something that you might call 'fail safe'

basically, beside the internal CT limiter that you can enable or disable, there is also 2 other options to put the 'upper limit': by amp or by power. so let's say the CT says your load needs 500w, but at the same time, you can set the 'max solar/battery' to be 200w, and this limit will override the limiter and the inverter will never draw more than 200w.

These will run best directly off of a PV array but can also be run off of batteries:

(Two 1000W / 120V units needed to supply standard US 240V 2-phase power…)

These units are completely ‘fail safe’ in the sense that they require the grid signal to produce any power at all. If they do not detect the presence of the grid, they shut down immediately (like pretty much any grid-tied inverter).

I've looked at that inverter, but I really need wireless capability for the current sensors. My meter is about 75 feet away and trenching is not really an option. Well, not a desirable one. and I really need to be able to measure at the meter because I have several branches from there.

I've looked at that inverter, but I really need wireless capability for the current sensors. My meter is about 75 feet away and trenching is not really an option. Well, not a desirable one. and I really need to be able to measure at the meter because I have several branches from there.
They support both ‘internal’ as well as ‘external’ CT sensors.

The bundled ‘internal’ sensors are limited to a ‘passive’ cable length of ~7 feet, so using those requires locating the inverters relatively close to where you want to sense (generally the main panel).

But the optional ‘external’ sensor is an active sensing box that is located near the sensing location but then communicates with the GTIL through an ‘active’ communication cable that can be much longer.

I know I’ve seen others connect the active sensing box through 50 feet of cable without issue - suspect they can probably be used at distances of 100 feet or even more, but you’re going to need to check the specs.

They support both ‘internal’ as well as ‘external’ CT sensors.

The bundled ‘internal’ sensors are limited to a ‘passive’ cable length of ~7 feet, so using those requires locating the inverters relatively close to where you want to sense (generally the main panel).

But the optional ‘external’ sensor is an active sensing box that is located near the sensing location but then communicates with the GTIL through an ‘active’ communication cable that can be much longer.

I know I’ve seen others connect the active sensing box through 50 feet of cable without issue - suspect they can probably be used at distances of 100 feet or even more, but you’re going to need to check the specs.
This says the max distance is 30 meter (98 feet) so you should be good to go: http://gridtieinverter.org/2017/05/...lar-on-grid-tie-inverter-10m-cable-connected/

I wish I could find the thread I read. It definitely had wireless sensors, and could be programmed to limit current to whatever % you wanted if the link failed.

I wish I could find the thread I read. It definitely had wireless sensors, and could be programmed to limit current to whatever % you wanted if the link failed.
Would love to learn more if you find it.

If the ‘link’ or sensors fail on these GTIL2s, I’m pretty sure power generation drops to 0W (since they only produce enough power to drive sensed consumption down close to 0W - no consumption read from the sensor, no power generated).

Back