diy solar

diy solar

GWL 'single cell' charger (for Initial top balance or capacity testing)

Dzl

Unofficial Forum Librarian & Perpetual Newbie
Staff member
GWL sells a 3.65V 5A charger designed for initial (top) balance charging of lifepo4. Works with single cells or cells in parallel. Designed to be cheap and simple (compared to a decent benchtop power supply)

I just learned about it, and don't know a ton about it, but it seems like it could be useful to some people here so figured I'd post and see what Y'all think.

Here is a 10 amp. I used this one and saw 9.77 amps through the entire charge until the cell hit 3.56vdc then rapidly tapered current to hold 3.656. When it hit zero current a green light turns on.

Here is a 20 amp. https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...66.html?spm=a2700.12243863.0.0.94cd3e5fKRBmzm

I use a Meanwell power supply that i bought several years ago. I think it puts out 10 Amps max

Last edited:
Reactions: Dzl
I use a Meanwell power supply that i bought several years ago. I think it puts out 10 Amps max

I like the idea of getting a Meanwell type PSU + an RD Riden 'frontend' to turn the dumb supply into a configurable benchtop PSU, the Meanwell (if the right voltage is chosen) can then be repurposed (after balancing, testing, etc) as your packs AC/Shorepower charger if you have a way to control it (like an SBMS0)

see what Y'all think.
Fist thing I would do is cut off the clamps and put on ring terminals.
It has no fan for cooling so you have to give it a rest for 30 minutes. At 5 amps that adds a lot of time to 280 Ahr cells. It is accurate to 0.05 volts so could be 3.60 volts or 3.70 volts?

Last edited:
It's not cheap but I'm intrigued by the Revolectric Cellpro Powerlab 8, I've watched a lot of videos. When the day comes and can park the 5th wheel for a short while and not need the batteries, be interesting to see what the batteries true capacity is with something more precise. Hooking it to the computer and getting more info seems interesting (I like data), plus all the other features of it.

It's not cheap but I'm intrigued by the Revolectric Cellpro Powerlab 8
I have been using the Powerlab 6 for 6 years. Actually two of them because one got fried and repairing it would have cost more than a new one. I use it routinely for capacity checking some Nissan Leaf modules I am getting ready to sell. I was using a 24 volt 30 Amp power supply to run it but I may use some of my remaining Leaf modules in regenerative mode to save some electricity. It is very flexible and if connected to a laptop can save charge and discharge profiles.

I have been using the Powerlab 6 for 6 years. Actually two of them because one got fried and repairing it would have cost more than a new one. I use it routinely for capacity checking some Nissan Leaf modules I am getting ready to sell. I was using a 24 volt 30 Amp power supply to run it but I may use some of my remaining Leaf modules in regenerative mode to save some electricity. It is very flexible and if connected to a laptop can save charge and discharge profiles.
I like the laptop feature for sure. It seems like there's a lot bang for the buck with them.

Reactions: Dzl
Here is a 10 amp. I used this one and saw 9.77 amps through the entire charge until the cell hit 3.56vdc then rapidly tapered current to hold 3.656. When it hit zero current a green light turns on.

Here is a 20 amp. https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...66.html?spm=a2700.12243863.0.0.94cd3e5fKRBmzm
Looking for better way to charge my 280Ah LiFePO4 cells. my power supply seem very slow, and so far have only achieved 3.336V charging with one of those Bench Power Supplies rated up to 30V /10 Amps.. I currently have my voltage dialed up to 3.86 V for 10 amp INput to battery, cause when power supply was adjust for 3.65V, the battery voltage via measured with a DMM showed Voltage stuck at 3.3... , Almost wondering if I have a defective power supply or if not properly calibrated.

Wow, I do like that 20 amp charger from Alibaba for that price range. Looks way better to me than just 10 Amps for my 280 Ah cell. Wondering if anyone has checked it out ??? ... checking it out on Albaba to get quote with shipping to California. Might just order one.

Last edited:
Looking for better way to charge my 280Ah LiFePO4 cells. my power supply seem very slow, and so far have only achieved 3.336V charging with one of those Bench Power Supplies rated up to 30V /10 Amps.. I currently have my voltage dialed up to 3.86 V for 10 amp INput to battery, cause when power supply was adjust for 3.65V, the battery voltage via measured with a DMM showed Voltage stuck at 3.3... , Almost wondering if I have a defective power supply or if not properly calibrated.
From what I understand its very normal for this stage to take a long time, with a large battery bank. I don't recall how many cells you have or how long you have been charging so far, but 280ah x some number of cells takes a long time for a small cheap charger.

In parallel, 280ah:
x 4 = 1120 Ah
x 8 = 2240 Ah
x 16 = 4480 Ah

even if the cells are starting at 50-60% SOC this will still take a loooong time for a little 10A charger

Wow, I do like that 20 amp charger from Alibaba for that price range. Looks way better to me than just 10 Amps for my 280 Ah cell. Wondering if anyone has checked it out ??? ... checking it out on Albaba to get quote with shipping to California. Might just order one.
Hey there Capt. I have 16 of these in transit and should arrive in a couple of weeks. I will post my findings here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/senberry-eve-lf280-transactions.12328/

Here is a link to the Sirtec company. As far as I can tell they only deal in chargers. https://cnsritec.en.alibaba.com/?spm=a2700.9014153.0.0.6dae3e5fQZGePY

I was looking at these chargers. Price seems in line with their current capability. The auto turn off when the battery voltage reaches 3.65 is reassuring. The specs appear in line with what you would want for top balancing cells. Beefy connectors and cables (Anderson SB175 on the 40A).

Question is how well do they do their job. Anyone have any experience using either of these to top balance large capacity cells?

$95 for the 20A, $229 for the 40A.

Last edited:
I was thinking of build cells in a 12 volt pack and charging with my rv's progressive dynamics 9160al lithium charger. Any reason not to? Building a 48V bank after the top balance.

Back