diy solar

diy solar

Hakko FX-600 Garbage

Lady V

I bought the Hakko FX-600 because after research I could always upgrade it to the FX-601 model by exchanging some parts. My first use was great. It heat up in seconds and allowed me to solder for the first time. (Super noob over here! :-D yay!) This morning I plugged it in and adjusted the dial and went to start working and noticed that it was not melting the flux I applied. I touched the tip and it was cold as ice. On their website I verified that I was in fact using it correctly.

This is my second time using this thing. Yeah it's not exactly what Will recommended however on their site this is the FX-601's brother. (FX-601 is for higher temperature)

Does anyone have any recommendations of a soldering iron that ACTUALLY works reliably?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I've been using these cheap Solder Stations for years --- Just get good Hakko Tips --- I buy 2 at a time --that way I can have 2 tip sizes readily available

thanks for the recommendation

I am sending it back to Amazon... even with a replacement I will be uncomfortable knowing they have QA issues.

I've been using these cheap Solder Stations for years --- Just get good Hakko Tips --- I buy 2 at a time --that way I can have 2 tip sizes readily available
Thanks for the recommendation

I will be checking it out for sure!

Aoyue 469 - this is one I picked up on my Ramen budget, works good for my needs.

Just ordered a new Weller 1010NA as an upgrade to my old 25 watt Weller after a buddy let me try his. Don't know why I waited so long (well, actually I do, I'm just a cheap bastard). I think they're assembled in Mexico now, supposedly engineered in Germany, and god only knows where the parts are manufactured, but let's face it - what doesn't have Chinese parts in it these days. Not thrilled that it isn't fuse protected, but that's fixable. Other than that, it feels great in hand, stays cool enough to work a long time with, and the heat up and recovery was pretty amazing, but again - my frame of reference is hobby level use of a decade old unit from a home center, an electronics tech I am not. Something that I do know is that paying the extra ransom for Kester solder was well worth the cost.

I have been using the same 853D for a few years now with no problems. i even bought extra heating elements for both hot air and soldering iron and it has lasted so long i do not know where spare parts are at now.

Back