diy solar

diy solar

Half cell panels... do they not play well with MPPT charge controllers?

Bellyman

Do half cell panels play well with MPPT charge controllers?

The reason I ask is because I read a comment, somewhere, that I had thought suggested this was sometimes a problem. I have looked and looked trying to find that comment again but have not been able to find it.

I've seen a panel on SanTan's website that is a half cell panel that is attractively priced. But the above has nagged at me as I feel like there might be some nuance I'm not seeing.

Anybody know whether there is anything to this idea or how / where it may apply?

Thanks!

I haven't seen anything of the sort. It would be a pretty bad quality for a panel to have, considering the huge number of MPPT controllers out there.

I haven't seen anything of the sort. It would be a pretty bad quality for a panel to have, considering the huge number of MPPT controllers out there.

Thanks! I was kinda hoping it was either a typo that got corrected later on or I read it wrong.

I have 3 half-cut cell 330W panels in series on the roof of my trailer. While I haven't done any practical tests or comparisons, I seem to get good results. I get some wattage even when fully shaded.

But I have to admit I don't know how they really compare to "regular" panels. I got the half-cut cell panels because my choice was down to two different panels from the same manufacturer will all other specs being the same. But the half-cut panels claimed to be better in shade so I chose them over the others.

Do half cell panels play well with MPPT charge controllers?

Half cut, perc mono are the best panels on the market, nothing is better and there is no reason mppt would not work well. I have a roof full of them ( 28 panels ) and get great harvest with them.

Santan is a good place to buy from as well, that is where mine are from

As long as the panel voltages are within the MPPT SCC's specs, you shouldn't have any problems.

Back