diy solar

diy solar

hammer type crimper

FilterGuy

Solar Engineering Consultant - EG4 and Consumers
I'll start this category with a repeat of one of Will's recommendations: For crimping lugs on very heavy gauge wire, I really like the Hammer Crimper.

https://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-Hammer-Crimper-Tool-Warranty/dp/B00E1UUVT0

1576369291039.png

I first bought this about 3 years ago and was a bit skeptical when I ordered it. However, I find it to be a great little tool.
  • It does a great job crimping
  • It is small and easily fits into your tool box. (Much more convenient than the big crimpers with 2 foot handles.)
  • It is durrable
  • The price cant be beat.
The only negative is that you need a heavy hammer. You can do it with a good framing hammer, but I like to use a small sledge hammer.
1576369774700.png

Isn't it just amazing!?! So easy to use, and creates a really nice crimp. I bought other similar models (that looked identical!), and the crimp was not as nice.

And yes! I use a small sledgehammer as well. Best way to do it :D

Don't you love it when something that is cheap is also a great value!:)

I just use 3 hits. Thanks Will for that vid you did of it.

After using a HTC (Hammer Type Crimper) for a few years, and the PITA of having to crimp wires at the bench and not being able to crimp wires in place, I took the plunge and bought this handheld hydraulic crimper last week.
WHAT WAS I WAITING FOR!!!
This thing is fantastic! Beautiful crimps as long as you use the correct size terminals.
I never got as "pretty" crimps with any other method.

$42

51wxkK7QrcL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

After using a HTC (Hammer Type Crimper) for a few years, and the PITA of having to crimp wires at the bench and not being able to crimp wires in place, I took the plunge and bought this handheld hydraulic crimper last week.
WHAT WAS I WAITING FOR!!!
This thing is fantastic! Beautiful crimps as long as you use the correct size terminals.
I never got as "pretty" crimps with any other method.

$42

View attachment 3696

Just yesterday I noticed David Poz using a crimper that looks just like this.
(about 2:25 in the video)

I was going to search for it but now I don't have to.... Thanks.

I don't recall seeing that tool 3 years ago when I bought my hammer crimper. It looks like a nice tool that won't break the bank. If it holds up well it, checks all the boxes for being a great value. Keep us posted about how it holds up.

BTW: The good way to see if it crimps well is to cut through a crimped lug and look at the cross section of a crimp. If you do that, post a pic!

I will cut through one ASAP and post.....

Be aware, there are lots of this Chinese hydraulic crimpers around. I hear the Harbor Freig

Wow, that looks pretty good. Thanks for posting.

BTW: If you think this is a great tool, you may want to start a new thread in Hand Tools under with a heading of "Hydraulic Crimper" or something. (This thread is labled Hammer Crimper)

I have no dog in this fight....just suggesting another option after being well versed with hammer crimping.....
Carry on....

I recall Will showing another type of crimper that he used with an impact driver & socket. I'm willing to part with the $50 to acquire one, but haven't been able to find it. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance...

I recall Will showing another type of crimper that he used with an impact driver & socket. I'm willing to part with the $50 to acquire one, but haven't been able to find it. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance...

I use this one and quite like it.

Thanks, MisterSandals.

Interesting. The $49 Ibosao is almost the same as the $79 Tempco....but not identical. One or both of them are knock-offs of the same design. The Tempco has a 5 year warranty. The other one does not mention warranty.

I suspect the Tempco is a better tool, but it looks like the Ibosao does a great job crimping. As is typical, the Amazon reviews are a mixed bag for both.

The question comes down to this: Will one hold up better than the other? The Tempco is probably the safer buy, the Ibosao is the lowetr cost buy.

Thanks, MisterSandals.

Interesting. The $49 Ibosao is almost the same as the $79 Tempco....but not identical. One or both of them are knock-offs of the same design. The Tempco has a 5 year warranty. The other one does not mention warranty.

I suspect the Tempco is a better tool, but it looks like the Ibosao does a great job crimping. As is typical, the Amazon reviews are a mixed bag for both.

The question comes down to this: Will one hold up better than the other? The Tempco is probably the safer buy, the Ibosao is the lowetr cost buy

I'll pile on with one i bought. I REALLY like TEMCo stuff and like good quality tools, so i got this for $79. The range from 12awg to 2/0awg fit my perceived needs too.

The question comes down to this: Will one hold up better than the other? The Tempco is probably the safer buy, the Ibosao is the lowetr cost buy

Back