diy solar

diy solar

hammer type crimper

Interesting. The $49 Ibosao is almost the same as the $79 Tempco....but not identical.
Yea, I'm not sure if thats a "feel good" extra $30 and 5 year warranty or not. I do feel good though...

I was swayed by the fact that TEMCo makes quality lugs and wires too (and quite a few other higher end ($$) tools).

My only complaint so far is that the paperwork is too big to fit in the case - the case is pretty nice otherwise.

I should add that while reading about hydraulic crimpers, many of the cheaper ones come with metric dies. And the conversion to AWG is not exact. The IBOSAD has an 3AWG and 9AWG die. Not sure if I've ever seen a 3 or 9AWG lug. Look at the 4th image, all the dies are in mm^2.

So the recommendation that I heard said to make sure they are true AWG dies and not a rough equivalent. Unless your lugs are in mm^2 of course.

"• The crimping dies are marked with 12,9,6,4,3,2,1/0,2/0 AWG"

Last edited:
I should add that while reading about hydraulic crimpers, many of the cheaper ones come with metric dies. And the conversion to AWG is not exact. The IBOSAD has an 3AWG and 9AWG die. Not sure if I've ever seen a 3 or 9AWG lug. Look at the 4th image, all the dies are in mm^2.

So the recommendation that I heard said to make sure they are true AWG dies and not a rough equivalent. Unless your lugs are in mm^2 of course.

"• The crimping dies are marked with 12,9,6,4,3,2,1/0,2/0 AWG"
Don't overthink it.
Get the size that fits and squish it on! It's a crimper, we're not going to Mars it doesn't have to be nanometer accurate!

After using a HTC (Hammer Type Crimper) for a few years, and the PITA of having to crimp wires at the bench and not being able to crimp wires in place, I took the plunge and bought this handheld hydraulic crimper last week.
WHAT WAS I WAITING FOR!!!
This thing is fantastic! Beautiful crimps as long as you use the correct size terminals.
I never got as "pretty" crimps with any other method.

$42

View attachment 3696
@Rbertalotto Have you used it much since you bought it? Is it holding up? Any regrets?

I'm in the market for a good crimper, I've seen some negative reviews on this hydraulic crimper, especially that it cracks when over crimped. People that bought this, how has the experience being? Should one go for it? Thanks a lot

I'll start this category with a repeat of one of Will's recommendations: For crimping lugs on very heavy gauge wire, I really like the Hammer Crimper.

https://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-Hammer-Crimper-Tool-Warranty/dp/B00E1UUVT0

View attachment 3413

I first bought this about 3 years ago and was a bit skeptical when I ordered it. However, I find it to be a great little tool.
  • It does a great job crimping
  • It is small and easily fits into your tool box. (Much more convenient than the big crimpers with 2 foot handles.)
  • It is durrable
  • The price cant be beat.
The only negative is that you need a heavy hammer. You can do it with a good framing hammer, but I like to use a small sledge hammer.
View attachment 3415
I have the hammer getting ready to buy a crimper

Back