diy solar

diy solar

Handling rough movement of being on a lawn tractor

shanemgrey

I'm planning to convert a zero turn mower with a blown engine to electric. It would be subject to very bumpy rides almost constantly when in use. I imagine Golf Cart batteries handle this well enough, even though they are not always sealed.

I may decide to go with LA for price, or some Lithium chemistry for the other benefits. Undecided at this time. Right now I just want to know if I need to do anything for the motion from the type of use.

Are there considerations for different chemistries when planning to operate with a lot of bouncing around? Do batteries need to be mounted with any kind of shock absorption?

Are there considerations for different chemistries when planning to operate with a lot of bouncing around? Do batteries need to be mounted with any kind of shock absorption?
No, they just need to be secure so the terminals are not stressed. Make sure your battery cables are flexible multistrand and are fixed in place so they also do not stress the terminals. I piece of foam could make the ride easier for the operator so he or she does not worry about the batteries. ;)

I'm planning to convert a zero turn mower with a blown engine to electric.

What motor are you planning on using? Or are you planning on using one for the cutting deck and one for propulsion?

Probably two for propulsion since it's a zero-turn, unless the transmission system make it easier to just keep that and use one. One motor for each blade (two on the deck I'll be using)

I'm very interested in this project. I have long desired to build a solar shed and an electric lawn tractor. I've got 2.5 acres and it takes about two hours to mow so I'd either have to build it big, make it easy to swap out batteries or cut sections at a time with a recharge day in between.

I've also toyed with the idea of robot mowers. Unfortunately all the robot mower manufacturers think larger yard means bigger robot. I think that's a flawed way to think about it. Just use more robots and/or make it so batteries can be changed out automatically.

Dynamite Ray....great job, and on the vid as well. Your voice reminds me of Scotty Kilmer! Cheers!

Oh man .. I read the first paragraph about a blown lawnmower, handling bumpy riding and thought he was talking about doing a race-conversion:

I was about to launch into a whole nanophosphate LFP thing, but then started laughing at myself. :) Shows you where my head was at first..

Last edited:
Just finished this electric tractor.....

I saw your mower on YouTube this morning and now see this post from the past. Do you have a diagram of your setup? I’m going to convert my John Deere and looking at the Motenergy 1004 kit plus lithium batteries. Any help would be appreciated, thx.

Back