diy solar

diy solar

Harbor Freight Drill Press for Busbars

I have one. There is so much play in the spindle bearings it is hard to get the hole in the correct location. It can be done, but is very difficult.
Police here. Buss Bar, not busbar

I have one. There is so much play in the spindle bearings it is hard to get the hole in the correct location. It can be done, but is very difficult.
Police here. Buss Bar, not busbar
Did you drill your holes a little oversize? I'm thinking I need to open them up a little bit to compensate for expansion and contraction of the cells.

The buss bars must be tight or they make bad contact. If they can slide on the battery terminals they will soon be overheating. I do make the holes over size a little. That is to assure I am not putting strain on cells by forcing them to fit to bad measurements, or miss-drilled holes. The cells are clamped together with no room to move.

I went for the next size up when they were on sale .... it's a little more robust.

Does a great job for the little use I have ..... a good center punch will help a lot when locating where you want the hole. It keeps the bit from wandering around when starting the hold.

Negative. It’s busbar or bus bar. One s.

Agreed. I had to look it up a few months ago after joining. "Buss" is a kiss. Some of these bus bars are so expensive, maybe they should be giving out kisses.

My take on HF is that I don't buy their electric or pneumatic tools. I've had bad luck with them. I do however buy some of their other stuff, like nitrile gloves, air tool connectors, air hoses, chock blocks, etc. I consider many of their tools to be one-and-done tools.

HF has made a huge push in the cordless tool segment. It's not their normal cheap chinese knockoff tools. It's better from what I hear. I standardized on Dewalt 20v batteries so I'm not buying any other brand for the simple reason that I don't want to have multiple batteries and chargers to keep track of.

Buss is brand name. They invented the concept of a dedicated proper sized connection point for multiple wires. The spelling has changed over the decades by those trying to save printer ink by dropping a letter. Or saving a fractional second by typing three rather than four letters. A bus is a mode of transportation, often called Greyhound. That doesn't make the HF drill press any better.

I’ve bought from Harbor freight ever since they’ve been in business. I’m smart enough to not have great expectations from their power tools but have been surprised by the longevity I’ve a few purchases. I’ve got 2, 4” grinders that long outlasted a Makita. I’ve only had to replace the brushes once in 8 years. I’ve also got that drill press serves a purpose and it has had no problems. (It does have a slight wobble but I’m not doing machine work) bought a 110v impact for tire removal 15 years ago that still sees duty along with welding tools etc, etc. As I said if you go in with great expectations then go elsewhere and spend a lot more. If you are a tradesman that uses tools for a living then buy the best.
Everything in the HF store comes from china, but then again so does
most other higher dollar power tools. ✌️

Their hydraulic crimper works great for small to medium size crimp also .... I forget the exact die sizes.

I bought that same drillpress. My spindle bearings are fine but I could use some more power.
I have to start with a small drill bit and work my way up. Maybe my bit isn't sharpened for copper.
It seems to bind.

Back