Has anyone got an experience on which MPPT algorithm is the most efficient at broken cloudy days?

rin67630

Solar Addict
I just wonder which MPPT algorithm should be the most efficient at broken cloudy days?
Just polling the power for changes every second while the irradiance may be changing for the same amount as well will not be effective.
My
Polling power much faster will be a waste of resources and impact the quiescent consumption.
Probably the best way will be to detect this stage and switchover to fixed panel voltage, reserving real MPPT to full sunny and full overcast days?

Has someone got an experience with that?

upnorthandpersonal

Administrator
There are several MPPT algorithms that would be suitable for different conditions. The most common one on charge controllers, Perturb and Observe might not be the best for all conditions, but it's easy to implement. You could use a combination of Incremental Conductance and Constant Voltage to get best results in cloudy conditions with constantly changing irradiance.

rin67630

Solar Addict
There are several MPPT algorithms that would be suitable for different conditions. The most common one on charge controllers, Perturb and Observe might not be the best for all conditions, but it's easy to implement. You could use a combination of Incremental Conductance and Constant Voltage to get best results in cloudy conditions with constantly changing irradiance.
Thank you for confirming. I must now figure out how to detect the condition and switch-over the strategy accordingly.