diy solar

diy solar

has anyone tried chromalox heat trace for LifePo4 batteries?

ElectricDanimal

so, this is a heat trace cable with parallel conductors.. supposedly very efficient and requires no thermostat.. uses no power until temps drop below freezing.. It is designed to keep pipes from freezing. I wonder if it could be used for a battery warmer?

Looking at their products, it would seem their kapton heaters would be more suited.

I know them, and for keeping water lines above freezing point,they are effective solution.

They have a thermostat, their control box have temperature sensor that will activate once it's reading too low temperatures.

They can't be "regulated", it's on or off and give about 30c warmth.

I guess you can use this to heat the inside of the insulated box that contains the cells, if you are in cold environment.

And if you have this solution already in place for preventing your water system to freeze, good idea to use it also in the box with the cells.

The total solution isn't that cheap.
If it's just about Keeping above freezing point, there are alternative solutions, like small DC heat blankets also used for babys (human and animals) with thermostat (= starting when it's below set temperature and not going above set temperature)
Those are safe solutions that have all the prevention needed.

I would not like to use the wire solution close to my fuel tank..
Intact not a problem.
Defective? It can spark.

The heat blankets are supposed to be safe enough to thrust your baby and not be afraid for electrocuting.

They should be safe enough for the cells.

I have used the wires in the past, and for preventing the outside water line to freeze, really good solution.

One frozen it takes days do unfreeze...
It's not high capacity and at low enough temperatures the line still freezes ..
(Or one need to use more windings around the pipe)

DIY solution would be sleeved nichrome wire.
It's relatively cheap.

I have made my DIY dump loads for my 4 wind turbines with them, rated 3000A dump each :)

Depending on the awg and length you can calculate its heating capacity (or dump load)
DC works fine.

Simple 5 degree Celsius thermostat switch would turn it on/off at rated temperature, and it can be hooked up directly to the batteries (after BMS)

Same solution, but DIY and cheaper.
With the same danger that a broken nichrome wire will spark being held close together.

There are heatprotective sleeves that should prevent this from being a problem.
Shrink wrap probably would do fine also.
It can be red hot glowing wire... But does not need to be !!
Lower resistance = lower temperature. (Larger awg or longer cable)

(Nichrome is used a lot. Your electrical oven, hair dryer, paint burner, list goes on.
Also your heating blanket or electrical (water) heater uses the same wire.
Sometimes submerged in oil, coated with ceramic or other ways of protecting the wire.
At high heat it's not strong and dirt can make it break easily.
One of the reasons not to touch those wires when cold (or hot ?)
Like halogen bulbs..
When you touch.. short life span)

Side step.

Yes, good solution if it's already in place for preventing water pipes.

If you need to purchase only for the cells...
There might be better solution available

Back