diy solar

diy solar

Has anyone used that Chinese Capacity Tester Will used on his video?

I have the same tester. Piece of crap. I wrote it off, and just bought the ZKEtech 40amp tester Andy uses at off-grid -garage. Many must be buying them, as the price on Amazon is about $280 now, and shipping from China on Aliexpress is VERY high. I just ended up buying one for about $150 plus shipping today. Screw it. The software alone is worth it, and being able to charge and discharge at 40amps would be kinda nice. Now I just need to see if the 110V version can actually do that, and I may have to run a new outlet just for the tester.
It has a 300 watt power supply internally, you won't need a dedicated outlet. There is a very tiny window on the bottom, just make sure it is set for 120v. You will need a power cord, mine from last year shipped with only a Chinese cord. Very standard cord, if you have an old computer you can use that, or buy one on Amazon for $7 or less.

Good catch! I can’t read where it said it went down to 2.77v? The smallest I saw was 2.85v when he started the test. The clips I used were supplied by the Chinese company, but it was 14AWG wire so not that thin and it was connected well to the alligator clips. I’m not so sure I would have gotten a different result with different clips.

During my test, when I tried to test it at 0.2C (20A), my cell immediately dropped down lower than the 2.6v low cutoff and displayed the warning then stopped the test. I was only able to complete the test by continuously turning down the amperage each time I received that warning. I started at 15A and ended up at 1A after it stopped about 10 times.

I want to test one of the best cells I have and see if the results are different. But do you think I did the test correctly?
If you don't replace the garbage leads it ships with, you will continue to have problems no matter how many testers you buy. You want 10 gauge with spade crimped ring terminals to the battery.

I have the same tester. Piece of crap. I wrote it off, and just bought the ZKEtech 40amp tester Andy uses at off-grid -garage. Many must be buying them, as the price on Amazon is about $280 now, and shipping from China on Aliexpress is VERY high. I just ended up buying one for about $150 plus shipping today. Screw it. The software alone is worth it, and being able to charge and discharge at 40amps would be kinda nice. Now I just need to see if the 110V version can actually do that, and I may have to run a new outlet just for the tester.
I ended up replacing the original one and bought the uograded 180w color screen version on Amazon.

The biggest difference was that it had 4 battery leads which made it much more accurate with the actual battery voltages. Having the voltage readings on a separate wire than the load made all the difference.

I was able to easily perform a 20A test which took about 4 hours and 30 minutes typically for each 100A cell. Most tested around 85Ah.

From watching videos and talking to people here, they said that a higher amperage test isn’t as good because it drops the voltage too fast giving an improper capacity result. Although it’s cool your unit can charge at 40A!! The hardest part of these tests was charging all the batteries with a top balance. 10 days later and I’m still charging them.

If you don't replace the garbage leads it ships with, you will continue to have problems no matter how many testers you buy. You want 10 gauge with spade crimped ring terminals to the battery.
I finished the capacity tests weeks ago. I made sure I replaced the leads with 10 Guage wire for the load and added ring connectors and a fuse as well just in case something happened while I tested in my sleep overnight. All 48 cells took me about 2 weeks. The average capacity was 85Ah.

I finished the capacity tests weeks ago. I made sure I replaced the leads with 10 Guage wire for the load and added ring connectors and a fuse as well just in case something happened while I tested in my sleep overnight. All 48 cells took me about 2 weeks. The average capacity was 85Ah.
Hope you paid a decent price for the cells then. I am hoping the latest batch sent to me are at least 100% capacity.

Hope you paid a decent price for the cells then. I am hoping the latest batch sent to me are at least 100% capacity.
I paid $400k and it came with a “free yacht”.
?
They were the 6-year old house bank batteries that the previous owner installed poorly. They were damaged as a result. I had to take them all out and assess how bad they were. Out of 50 cells, 48 of them still worked and were over 80Ah which is enough to make four 300Ah batteries. The average Was 85Ah.

I have a couple of these testers (150w version) and I'm looking for something better. I test a lot of lithium batteries and I have seen a few videos where the tester can pull 40a or so. This is usually done at 5v or less. I need a good tester that can work with 12v and pull more amps than these little units can handle. I also noticed a couple of testers that can recharge the cell after the capacity test is complete, this would be great to have in the 12v or higher version. Can any of you guys recommend a good tester that can test capacity on a 12v 100ah battery pack and recharge it afterwards? Im looking in the $200-$500 range. here is a pic for reference .
well have the one you posted, and can recommend it

I paid $400k and it came with a “free yacht”.
?
They were the 6-year old house bank batteries that the previous owner installed poorly. They were damaged as a result. I had to take them all out and assess how bad they were. Out of 50 cells, 48 of them still worked and were over 80Ah which is enough to make four 300Ah batteries. The average Was 85Ah.
My dream is a Morgan Out Island 41, already located in the virgin islands, and completely stocked with enough pussers rum to hold over for a few years. ?
I sailed a Pearson Triton for many years. Those were built like tanks. This one washed ashore after a nasty northeaster pull out the mushroom anchor.
We just tied a rope to her bow cleat, and pulled it off the beach with a few speedboats.
Kinda glad there were no lithium batteries back then, as it would have definitely been banged loose. I was dismasted in the same yacht during a different bad storm after a pitchpole knockdown.
Freaking made like a tank. Saved my life.

Attachments

• 20211009_120718.jpg
    20211009_120718.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 8
well have the one you posted, and can recommend it
I ended up buying the 180w version made by the same company and it worked waaaaaaay way better. It was more accurate since the voltage monitoring leads weren’t on the load testing wires. It had 4 posts and was separate.

Also,it didn’t have an invariants dial. It had buttons instead to set the numbers. It had a color screen and also Bluetooth.

I finished the tests a month ago and my cells have been too balancing for the last 2 weeks. Almost finished. Average capacity came out to 85Ah.

My dream is a Morgan Out Island 41, already located in the virgin islands, and completely stocked with enough pussers rum to hold over for a few years. ?
I sailed a Pearson Triton for many years. Those were built like tanks. This one washed ashore after a nasty northeaster pull out the mushroom anchor.
We just tied a rope to her bow cleat, and pulled it off the beach with a few speedboats.
Kinda glad there were no lithium batteries back then, as it would have definitely been banged loose. I was dismasted in the same yacht during a different bad storm after a pitchpole knockdown.
Freaking made like a tank. Saved my life.
Yikes! Crazy story. I hate seeing boats run aground.

Back