diy solar

diy solar

Has anyone used that Chinese Capacity Tester Will used on his video?

I was using 12 ga with rings and forks. Made some 10 ga 12” and same result.
Those are the things mentioned when I was only getting 12A and they said I should have got much more. In fact, suggested not doing more than 15A to keep the heat down.

So I just got the 185W color version. The instruction manual is not very good and you need a microscope to read the small print. Anyone know of a youtube video that explains how to set it up?

So I just got the 185W color version. The instruction manual is not very good and you need a microscope to read the small print. Anyone know of a youtube video that explains how to set it up?
I just got mine going a few weeks ago. I can try to answer any questions. Where are you having problems?

I just got mine going a few weeks ago. I can try to answer any questions. Where are you having problems?

Everywhere. LOL.

Like I said the poorly translated manual is in microscopic print, and my eyesight is not that good.

I guess just the basics, like what are the minimum settings that are needed for a battery capacity check. Is it as simple as just entering a cutoff voltage and pressing start?

Everywhere. LOL.

Like I said the poorly translated manual is in microscopic print, and my eyesight is not that good.

I guess just the basics, like what are the minimum settings that are needed for a battery capacity check. Is it as simple as just entering a cutoff voltage and pressing start?
If you can hang on a few hours I'll make a video.

Also, is anyone using the Android app? I paired the two bluetooth "devices" but the app does not seem to be connected. Tapping the bluetooth icon in the app just brings up a blank screen. I tried it on two Androids phones.

Also, is anyone using the Android app? I paired the two bluetooth "devices" but the app does not seem to be connected. Tapping the bluetooth icon in the app just brings up a blank screen. I tried it on two Androids phones.
Try clicking on the Bluetooth icon in the app, and then connect to the DL 24P device.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210915-090412_E-test~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210915-090412_E-test~2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20210915-090407_E-test~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210915-090407_E-test~2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 3
Try clicking on the Bluetooth icon in the app, and then connect to the DL 24P device.

I tried that and but nothing was coming up on that screen.

I don't know what I did, but finally got to to connect and it is displaying the voltage correctly. But now an annoying pop up keeps coming up at the bottom of the screen which has what looks like a mac address (same one that is under the device like on your screenshot), but the text is written in Chinese. Also the setup button on the app does not seem to do anything.

<edit> The setup button on the app sort of works. A lot of lag, when pressing the button and the + - buttons. Can't figure out how ot get it off the current setting, since a long press does nothing.

Last edited:
I tried that and but nothing was coming up on that screen.

I don't know what I did, but finally got to to connect and it is displaying the voltage correctly. But now an annoying pop up keeps coming up at the bottom of the screen which has what looks like a mac address (same one that is under the device like on your screenshot), but the text is written in Chinese. Also the setup button on the app does not seem to do anything.

<edit> The setup button on the app sort of works. A lot of lag, when pressing the button and the + - buttons. Can't figure out how ot get it off the current setting, since a long press does nothing.
Honestly, the phone app isn't very useful to me. The graph is scaled so that it wont show low voltages and higher amps together. Maybe if the battery voltage was higher, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. I'm in the process of trying to set it up with a PC to USB connection to get more accurate, exportable, data.

I have a couple of these testers (150w version) and I'm looking for something better. I test a lot of lithium batteries and I have seen a few videos where the tester can pull 40a or so. This is usually done at 5v or less. I need a good tester that can work with 12v and pull more amps than these little units can handle. I also noticed a couple of testers that can recharge the cell after the capacity test is complete, this would be great to have in the 12v or higher version. Can any of you guys recommend a good tester that can test capacity on a 12v 100ah battery pack and recharge it afterwards? Im looking in the $200-$500 range. here is a pic for reference .

Attachments

• zke1.jpg
    zke1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1
I have a couple of these testers (150w version) and I'm looking for something better. I test a lot of lithium batteries and I have seen a few videos where the tester can pull 40a or so. This is usually done at 5v or less. I need a good tester that can work with 12v and pull more amps than these little units can handle. I also noticed a couple of testers that can recharge the cell after the capacity test is complete, this would be great to have in the 12v or higher version. Can any of you guys recommend a good tester that can test capacity on a 12v 100ah battery pack and recharge it afterwards? Im looking in the $200-$500 range. here is a pic for reference .
I have the tester in your picture. It is capable of up to 5 volts ONLY.
They do make another that can do a 12v battery, however you will find the current is very limited, no more than what you are currently using.
Just FYI, you can parallel those testers you are using, thus doubling the current draw. You will have to manually add together the capacity they report.

I have the tester in your picture. It is capable of up to 5 volts ONLY.
They do make another that can do a 12v battery, however you will find the current is very limited, no more than what you are currently using.
Just FYI, you can parallel those testers you are using, thus doubling the current draw. You will have to manually add together the capacity they report.
yea, it takes me too long to test a 12v battery. Sometimes I have 20 that need testing.

yea, it takes me too long to test a 12v battery. Sometimes I have 20 that need testing.
I've used the ET5410 to test 12v batteries at 28 amps, however, it does not charge.
Under $200, good luck.

The Kunkin KP184 has the same capability and in addition, has sense leads for better accuracy. The front panel interface sucks. This seems to be a new model with a better interface, however, I haven't used it. Kunkin makes decent-quality units.

Last edited:
I've used the ET5410 to test 12v batteries at 28 amps, however, it does not charge.
Under $200, good luck.

The Kunkin KP184 has the same capability and in addition, has sense leads for better accuracy. The front panel interface sucks. This seems to be a new model with a better interface, however, I haven't used it. Kunkin makes decent-quality units.

I mentioned my budget was 200-500,...for the info and I will check into that unit.

Hello,
I’m wondering if my new Capacity Tester is bad or the first battery I tried testing is bad? It’s the exact capacity tester in Will’s video:

I tried my first capacity test using that cheap $40 capacity tester that Will had on his channel. For some reason I can’t get it to work, but it might be because of the battery?? Maybe I discovered my first bad battery?

- I top balanced the battery at 3.65v until the charger showed 0 amps going in.
- When I hooked up the cell to the tester, it showed 3.52v
- I watched the video again and set up the capacity tester so it shuts off at 2.60v as a Low Cutoff Voltage like he recommended.
- Then I adjusted down the current to 20A, which on my battery is 2C, just like in the video.

**Almost immediately, the Low Voltage alarm went off and the test stopped immediately. The screen flashed “2.60!” I couldn’t resume the test because the battery would instantly drop down under 2.6v during the test??

I grabbed a multimeter and it was actually displaying 3.17v directly on the cell. So maybe the capacity tester is bad??

I was forced to turn down the current to 15A and the voltage on the Capacity Tester says 2.7v which is dangerously low and close to shutting off the test again. The multimeter directly on the cell showed 3.102v. So maybe I have to turn it down all the way to 1C 10A???

Im thinking either the cheap capacity tester is bad or the battery cell is bad. What do you guys think?
I have the same tester. Piece of crap. I wrote it off, and just bought the ZKEtech 40amp tester Andy uses at off-grid -garage. Many must be buying them, as the price on Amazon is about $280 now, and shipping from China on Aliexpress is VERY high. I just ended up buying one for about $150 plus shipping today. Screw it. The software alone is worth it, and being able to charge and discharge at 40amps would be kinda nice. Now I just need to see if the 110V version can actually do that, and I may have to run a new outlet just for the tester.

Back