diy solar

diy solar

Has anyone used the KORAD KA3005P power supply?

If it's really a linear supply as they say, it would be good for work with microcontrollers or other circuit design where lower noise is important. But it's probably rather inefficient for something like charging and balancing batteries.

If it's really a linear supply as they say, it would be good for work with microcontrollers or other circuit design where lower noise is important. But it's probably rather inefficient for something like charging and balancing batteries.

Hmm... I know it's only a 5A device - but since I'll be balancing a 24v bank (and I'm not in a particularly big hurry) and I'll have a 24v converter for faster charging - I think I'll be okay with this one. I can definitely see where doing a 12v bank might be painful. ;-)

It looks like a nice unit! Got some programmable memories which is neat, and the PC interface could be nice for some projects.

It looks like a nice unit! Got some programmable memories which is neat, and the PC interface could be nice for some projects.

After watching a few videos on it - including the inside - yes, I agree is does look like a nice unit!

After watching a few videos on it - including the inside - yes, I agree is does look like a nice unit!
If you are only going to use it for batteries, there are cheaper switching options.

That said, it is a very good price for a linear supply from a reputable brand.

If you don't care about the switching noise and just want a programmable supply, I would recommend the Riden.

If you are only going to use it for batteries, there are cheaper switching options.

That said, it is a very good price for a linear supply from a reputable brand.

If you don't care about the switching noise and just want a programmable supply, I would recommend the Riden.

IIRC - the Riden is the one that has the separate case, right? If so - by the time you get the case you've pretty much spent the same... and still need to assemble the unit. Once again - my memory could be faulty.

It seems like most of the "cheaper" options - when researched - have a lot of quality control issues. I guess you get what you pay for... which is why I was trying to find something that is a little better than cheap - but not a serious pro model.

IIRC - the Riden is the one that has the separate case, right? If so - by the time you get the case you've pretty much spent the same... and still need to assemble the unit. Once again - my memory could be faulty.

It seems like most of the "cheaper" options - when researched - have a lot of quality control issues. I guess you get what you pay for... which is why I was trying to find something that is a little better than cheap - but not a serious pro model.
The Riden is indeed a "kit" that takes about 15 minutes to assemble. For about $50 more you get 18 amps rather than 5, but the kit doesn't include the battery or power cord (so add about $5).

I will just say, I have bought 3 of them. Very high quality supplies. USB interface for PC, and you can add Wi-Fi for the Android app. Lots of reviews for them.

That is the supply, but I purchased mine directly from the manufacturer.

You need the RD6018 unit, the case, and a power supply for it.

Currently "on sale" for $98 (RD6018w and case) and $63 (new 1000w supply I haven't tried).

Everyone I know that has received these is impressed. Quite a few owners here on DIYSOLARFORUM.

Back