diy solar

diy solar

Has not caught fire yet.

Flyingjibus

system pic.jpg

System is for an adventure van. (think van life but much more recreational in nature)
powering the following, all at 12 volts:
Roof fan
Lot of LED lights
Air purifier
Wash down pump (van carries a lot of dirty motorcycles)
Cooling fan for the cabinet
water heating element
battery monitor
a lot of cigarette lighter and usb adapters and whatever I plug into them
(cpap machine, 12v fridge, small vacuum cleaner, laptops, etc)

The battery:
a single lithium module from Farasis,made for the single pack Zero FX (electric dirt style bike)
we can call it a 96 volt battery for this discussion (87v-110v range)
25 amp hours/2400 watt hours

The charge controller
Sunnysky 96v 60a MPPT
Amazon.com

min panel voltage is listed as 120v, max Watts of panels listed as 6800w

The panels
Sunpower Black 250w

• Rated Power: 250W
  • Open circuit voltage (VOC): 48.8V
  • Max power voltage (VMP): 40.5 V
  • Short circuit current (ISC): 6.56A
  • Max power current: 6.17 A
  • Maximum system voltage: 600V UL
  • Power Tolerance: -3%/+5%
  • Number of Cell: 72
  • Fuse Rating: 20 A
  • IP65 3 diode Junction Box with MC4 compatible connectors
  • Frame: Anodized black aluminum alloy
  • Weight: 33 lbs
  • Dimensions: 61.4″ x 31.4″ x 1.8″

12 volt step down:
Thunderstruck Motors 96V Isolated DC-DC converter for EV's

TSM48DC-DC

NEW ITEM!!! Thunderstruck Motors 96V Isolated DC-DC converter has 13 8V output with a max of 50 amps burst at 12V Allowable Input is 72-135v 8 x5 5 Footprint 3 lbs Input Yellow 96V B+ Grey 96V B- Green 96V B+ On Output Red 12V + Black 12V- Do not connect black to grey Specs The ipDCIS...
www.thunderstruck-ev.com
www.thunderstruck-ev.com

This should power everything I intend to run at 12v with plenty of amperage room to spare. I am currently trying to figure out if I should connect this to the 96v output of the charge controller so the system can see the load. I dont see why I should not do this, but if I am missing something please let me know.

AC powered Charging
2x of these wired in series
https://www.meanwell.com/Upload/PDF/HLG-480H/HLG-480H-SPEC.PDF

Battery monitoring (currently working strangely, LCD screen loses contrast after being plugged in for a day)
Renogy 500A Battery Monitor

Panels are not hooked up to the system yet. Currently just charging off a house AC outlet as I test the load side of the system. Once that is all working and confirmed viable I will endeavor to mount the panels to the roof.

Interesting system eh?

Now is the time to consider "baselining" your connector temps under load with an inexpensive handheld IR thermometer (laser point models make it easier). Any trip to a home-improvement store should make it easy to find.

Exact temperatures are not so important as just baselineing values that exist now. It is a good, easy, and cheap way to add a little to your PM routine for peace-of-mind. Helps find issues before they become problems.

Back