diy solar

diy solar

Has the link for premade cables on Will's page been changed?

Terrapin

I had been planning on getting what I thought from memory were 1' 2/0AWG premade cables from his link to parallel my two 12v LFP builds going to a 2200w inverter. That link is now for 2awg to parallel or series batteries. 2 gauge seems pretty light for use as battery "busses"?

Maybe you are clicking on the 24V link? It shows 4/0 for me...
I rechecked and think you are hitting the "battery to inverter" link choices where several voltage/inverter sizes available. I can find bigger cables on there now too. But please try clicking his single "battery to battery" link... I seem to remember it as a link to only 2/0 cables. It's now a link to what is titled as (pasted)

2 AWG Gauge Red + Black Pure Copper Battery Inverter Cables Solar, RV, Car, Boat 12 in 5/16 in Lug​

Also there is no other mention of gauge size or voltage choices in this ad. I am thinking maybe the seller changed the listing on you guys if the link wasn't changed on his site? IDK 2 gauge seems paltry, and I haven't even started my first smoke show yet. I think you should check it out for him.

If that is correctly gauged wire to parallel two 120a LFP out to a 2200w inverter please let me know. It seems like a bargain.

That link is just to get you to the seller, and you have to choose the cable size for the amperage you will use.

I agree, the seller doesn’t seem to have size choices listed.

Here's my cable recommendation; I'm posting this reference to a couple threads on the topic:

I so much liked making my own cables with a set of hydraulic crimpers. I am not that good about getting accurate measurements and sticking to the original design, so making my own cables helped so much.

Fractions of an inch mattered for my battery cables, and I’m sure the place would have custom made to my specifications, but for different reasons my measurements were off for what I needed. Also, a couple times I thought I was getting 5/16ths posts, but I had actually ordered 3/8” and the cable was still good, so I just had to order new lugs.

My measurements were even farther off for the solar panel cables. I measured 60’, but actually used 90’ of wire.

I still have enough lugs, connectors, and wiring for another build. I would need to get more heat shrink.

. Also, a couple times I thought I was getting 5/16ths posts, but I had actually ordered 3/8” and the cable was still good, so I just had to order new lugs.
Ive seen some really cool lug with different size threads on each end and a nice big flat contact milled in between. You wouldn't happen to have a guy for those do you?

No guy, just me.

I don't know the specific lug you're talking about, but it does remind me of a lug so special you need to get a special crimping tool just for that. The lugs I looked at I spent a lot of time searching through Amazon to get the correct lug. I buy lugs from Amazon that are 4/0 to 5/16"; 4/0 to 3/8"'; 2 AWG to #10 stud, 2 AWG to 3/9" stud, and a whole lot more. Really wherever the project takes me.

Crimping is not that hard if you take you're time and do it right. Not cutting wires away when stripping insulation is important, and I think hammer crimps are an awful way to crimp a wire, unless perhaps you're soldering after. Still, I think a hydraulic crimper, available for a little over $100 is good up to 4/0 wire, although it comes ith dies much thicker. I feel if your calculations say you need wire thicker than 4/0 for a solar build, you need to up the voltage at that point to keep the current down meaning thinner wires.

Crimping smaller sized wires is part of what I used to do for a living, but I had a 27 year break between that job and my solar RV build.

No guy, just me.

I don't know the specific lug you're talking about, but it does remind me of a lug so special you need to get a special crimping tool just for that. The lugs I looked at I spent a lot of time searching through Amazon to get the correct lug. I buy lugs from Amazon that are 4/0 to 5/16"; 4/0 to 3/8"'; 2 AWG to #10 stud, 2 AWG to 3/9" stud, and a whole lot more. Really wherever the project takes me.

Crimping is not that hard if you take you're time and do it right. Not cutting wires away when stripping insulation is important, and I think hammer crimps are an awful way to crimp a wire, unless perhaps you're soldering after. Still, I think a hydraulic crimper, available for a little over $100 is good up to 4/0 wire, although it comes ith dies much thicker. I feel if your calculations say you need wire thicker than 4/0 for a solar build, you need to up the voltage at that point to keep the current down meaning thinner wires.

Crimping smaller sized wires is part of what I used to do for a living, but I had a 27 year break between that job and my solar RV build.
Sorry I was talking about studs and was distracted here....DOH! ?

Back