diy solar

diy solar

Have a question about powering 12v rv stuff with 48v solar system.

menchelke

Hey guys, long time lurker... I have been looking and trying to figure it out, but, I haven't seen the answer, or I did, and didn't comprehend, or I am asking the search engines the wrong thing.

Anyway, here goes my question, and what basic system this would be in reference to.

If we got a 24v or a 48v system like ones linked lower, how do we run any 12v rv appliances if any, like what do I get, and where does it go in the system?

We were looking at

This looks like it could charge those batteries, but being they are on 12v and this is a 24v, we would need to add 2 more of those batteries right? or buy some 24v batteries?

I am unsure what else in the RV really is running on 12v, maybe nothing, or just some emergency lights. Should we just disconnect those trojans up front, and then setup with 24v lifepo4 batteries to add to that system?

Alternatively, I was looking at this kit

Except building it peacemeal with the 9x 225 watt panels from santan, and maybe just a single battery. Which I figure could handle the tankless water heater, but unsure.

Anyway, that sample thats provided in the solar energy audit guide, would his usage well enough.

Anyway, I feel like I understand it all, but then when I think I got everything covered, I second guess, etc, and this part, it hasn't clicked yet.

Oh we will be offgrid only, and in Mohave county arizona, I think based on the maps, we get 5.71 peak sun hours.

We haven't bought anything yet. The Rv currently he can power it with a generator with a 120v 30amp plug on the generator, but the generator won't be in the finished setup ideally.

I believe he is trying to budget in right around $1500 for all this, and that is why that santan kit looks pretty attractive, if it will do what we need. Thanks.

Last edited:
If we got a 24v or a 48v system like ones linked lower, how do we run any 12v rv appliances if any, like what do I get, and where does it go in the system?

You treat the 24/48V system completely separately and continue to power the AC-DC converter and 12V battery to power your 12V system. This is about 75% efficient, BUT you have something of a secondary backup system.

OR

You use a 24/48V to 12V converter connected to the DC bus and remove your AC-DC converter and 12V battery. The key here is that you need to size it to be able to handle your largest surge load. Things like slideouts, leveling jacks and genny starters can demand A LOT of juice. If you have a 50-60A 24/48V to 12V converter, but most of the time, you're only pulling 5-10A out of it @ 12V, you're probably not much more efficient than leaving the 12V system intact.

We were looking at

This looks like it could charge those batteries, but being they are on 12v and this is a 24v, we would need to add 2 more of those batteries right? or buy some 24v batteries?

Santan site is down for me at the moment. I can't comment.

Alternatively, I was looking at this kit

Except building it peacemeal with the 9x 225 watt panels from santan, and maybe just a single battery. Which I figure could handle the tankless water heater, but unsure.

No way in hell unless it's one of the cheezy little units that actually have a small tank in them. True tankless AC water heaters have absolutely brutal AC loads.

Anyway, that sample thats provided in the solar energy audit guide, would his usage well enough.

Everywhere in AZ needs A/C. Has that been considered?

Anyway, I feel like I understand it all, but then when I think I got everything covered, I second guess, etc, and this part, it hasn't clicked yet.

Oh we will be offgrid only, and in Mohave county arizona, I think based on the maps, we get 5.71 peak sun hours.

Our spot is in Apache County, but all of AZ gets good sun.

We haven't bought anything yet. The Rv currently he can power it with a generator with a 120v 30amp plug on the generator, but the generator won't be in the finished setup ideally.

You always keep a backup source of power. Always.

I believe he is trying to budget in right around $1500 for all this, and that is why that santan kit looks pretty attractive, if it will do what we need. Thanks.

Budgets don't mean shit. If you design a system around an arbitrary budget, you simply have a system that meets budget. It may fall far short of what you need and ultimately mean you wasted your entire budget on something useless.

If he can afford $1500 now, he can likely afford more later. If you check pricing, $1500 won't even cover a single EG4 5.12kWh battery.

Please post the energy audit results if you want some meaningful input.

Please post the energy audit results if you want some meaningful input.
Yes. Because I’m wondering if you actually need 3000W? With A/C you probably will need that but if you aren’t going to use solar for A/C or the overall load is <2000W you can run on 12V.

1) need to decide what you want to actually do
2) do the energy audit from list in ‘a.’

In regards to ‘a)’ the $1500 is doable for a strong small/mid 12V system - but not for a 24V or 48V that will run A/C and last overnight

Thanks for the feedback, I will try to complete the audit, but I believe the sample provided in the sheet would approximate his normal loads, and trying to basically get it as KISS as possible and plug and play as possible, and I did inform him, we need batteries. So still figuring out.

Back