diy solar

diy solar

Have Growatt split phase inverter need help with batteries

mwilson79

I bought a 6kw 48v split phase inverter. Ive been trying to find lithium batteries that don't break the bank and can give me around 300ah but my main issue is how to connect them to the inverter. The manual reads,
If coosing lithium battery for Growatt SPF series products, you are allowed to use the lithium battery only which we have configured. There're two connectors on the lithium battery, RJ45 poRt of BMS and power cable.

So does this mean I can't use any other lithium battery except for Growatt which they don't even carry a battery yet. Or would the bms system that is built into my inverter just not work for my batterries?

I bought a 6kw 48v split phase inverter. Ive been trying to find lithium batteries that don't break the bank and can give me around 300ah but my main issue is how to connect them to the inverter. The manual reads,
If coosing lithium battery for Growatt SPF series products, you are allowed to use the lithium battery only which we have configured. There're two connectors on the lithium battery, RJ45 poRt of BMS and power cable.

So does this mean I can't use any other lithium battery except for Growatt which they don't even carry a battery yet. Or would the bms system that is built into my inverter just not work for my batterries?
The internal BMS will most likely not work with non Growatt batteries. There are supposedly custom settings though that will allow the user to set the charge profile manually.And you would need some sort of external BMS.

If we could just get the inverter and charger manufacturers to play well with any BMS life would be much simpler.

Did you ever get an answer to this battery issue.. I see one response but no real answer?
Thanks

Did you ever get an answer to this battery issue.. I see one response but no real answer?
Thanks
I didn't. I ended up purchasing 12, 12v dakota lithium batteries. hoping I can find someone to help me get them hooked to the inverter soon but im waiting to meet with electrician this Friday. thank you for responding to my post!!

I didn't. I ended up purchasing 12, 12v dakota lithium batteries. hoping I can find someone to help me get them hooked to the inverter soon but im waiting to meet with electrician this Friday. thank you for responding to my post!!
Why did you buy 12V dakota's ? Hopefully you can return them, that was NOT a good idea.
Do NOT expect an AC Electrician to know much about installing battery banks and systems either unless they KNOW Solar, DC & Battery systems (most don't and will BS their way through it). seen it too many times.

In any case, there is Right ways & Wrong ways to make parallel banks (hope to heck the Dakota BMS's allow for it), a MUST READ is this Victron Document (starting page 17) VICTRON Wiring-Unlimited-EN.pdf

There ARE BMS' which can interact with Growatt Controls. REC-BMS is one of them (NOT CHEAP) and there may be others which have CANbus that can compatible with Growatt. There are Real Benefits to having that capability. It allows for adaptive charging & discharging and much better integration which allows for better cell/pack & overall battery bank health.

Please keep me posted as to how your project is moving along.
I see that you did get a response about making sure that your batteries can be hooked up in a parallel configuration.. I'll be watching as I purchased the 6000t model.. 48v
Thanks and best of luck to you..

mtwilson79 I just wrote Growatt and here’s the response I received from them in regards to batteries.
“So much BS online.
Only the Growatt BMS can connect to the inverter.
Set the battery type to USER and use whatever home made batteries and BMS you want to use to balance your cells

Its all in the manual”

“No need to have the BMS connect to the inverter”

I read in the manual before reaching out to them today, there are 3 settings for lithium batteries, one for Growatt and 2 others for custom.
So your should be fine.

Now my unit 6000t per Growatt does not have its own BMS built in, on my unit I have to purchase my own.

mwilson: I need to be clear, I only am referring to my unit, the6000t 48v 6000w unit. I’m only assuming that your Growatt system has the same capabilities as mine does to use different batteries and BMS units. Please contact Growatt or where you purchased your unit. I’m Just a beginner/novice.
Best,
bl

I followed the reply string and was curious on how your battery system Integration turned out? I am planning to connect some homemade lifepo4 batteries with a Overkill bms on the batteries and am wondering how this is going to work.

Sorry if I said 350amps, I meant 250amps but they’re biracial so=7k
“Like in the picture the modules are around 250w x 24 = 6k. With the biracial component you will be real close to 7k. I have never run into an inverter that isn’t self limiting.”
Again sorry about that, doing a lot of stuff at the moment.

Back