diy solar

diy solar

Have the panel, the controller and the battery. Now I'm confused. Please send help!

Bikkeljan

Hi all!
I'm new to this, and have bought the following components for my van build:
- Solar: 1 x Hyundai 345 Wc Full Black Solar Panel
- SCC: 1 x EPever Tracer3210AN
- Batt: 1 x GreenCell 125Ah LiFePO4

Due to the last Will Prowse video I saw where he explains how you can burn out a SCC, I'm now slightly panicking about not knowing where to go from here.
My main questions:
- Will these parts theoretically work fine together?
- Which metrics should I use to check if they will?
- Which gauge wires am I going to connect them all with?
- Do I need an MT-50 to configure my EPever SCC or can I go without? If the latter, which are the best settings?

I would really appreaciate some insights from more experienced people than me.

Thank you so much in advance!

Hi all!
I'm new to this, and have bought the following components for my van build:
- Solar: 1 x Hyundai 345 Wc Full Black Solar Panel
- SCC: 1 x EPever Tracer3210AN
- Batt: 1 x GreenCell 125Ah LiFePO4

Due to the last Will Prowse video I saw where he explains how you can burn out a SCC, I'm now slightly panicking about not knowing where to go from here.
My main questions:
- Will these parts theoretically work fine together?
- Which metrics should I use to check if they will?
- Which gauge wires am I going to connect them all with?
- Do I need an MT-50 to configure my EPever SCC or can I go without? If the latter, which are the best settings?

I would really appreaciate some insights from more experienced people than me.

Thank you so much in advance!
These products work fine together use a 63 a 2 pole circuit breaker on the incoming pv + and - of at least 100vdc
And a 200 a fuse on the battery incoming or suitable CB wire panel with solar grade cable of 4 mm2 and use 16 mm2 on the battery cablesa mt 50 is easier to read but not necessary as all configuration can be done on the do front cover

That is a 30A solar charge controller with a max PV input voltage of 92V (at STC).

I don't know the full specs for the solar panel you listed. Do you have a link? Assuming it is a 345W panel then it probably has a Voc around 45V.

A 30A SCC on a 12V sytem is good for about 400W.

You will have no problem using that one panel with that SCC.

Since the SCC can output up to 30A then you should connect it to the battery with at least 10AWG wire assuming you use high quality marine grade pure copper stranded wire rated for 105ºC. Put a 40A fuse between the SCC and battery.

Thank you both a bunch for the quick replies!

This is the label on the solar panel. Seems like your 45V Voc guess was almost spot on :)

PXL_20220407_163844771.jpg

Curious why you're suggesting the "high quality marine grade pure copper stranded wire rated for 105ºC". Would something like this not suffice?
Regarding the fuse between battery & SCC, am I correct in saying that for example this would be perfect, and it would need to be placed on the positive side, as close as possible to the battery?

Last edited:
Curious why you're suggesting the "high quality marine grade pure copper stranded wire rated for 105ºC".
This wire is a much higher quality and durability under load. If it gets warm it won’t fail quickly. It will be safe.
Regarding the fuse between battery & SCC
I wouldn’t use that breaker due to it being unbranded. Blue Sea brand in USA is decent quality but your link is an unknown and for 100A and for a house? I’d buy a quality German-made, Japanese made, or Buss brand or Blue Sea brand.

I’ve used them for off-road vehicles and other non-residential applications. You should use top quality for life safety items.

Curious why you're suggesting the "high quality marine grade pure copper stranded wire rated for 105ºC".
You are doing a mobile system. You need to use stranded wire, not solid. Pure copper has much better properties such as lower resistance. The electrical system is not a good place to buy cheap components. A fire is very bad.

Would something like this not suffice?
Sorry, I don't speak Dutch and I don't see an option to translate the page to English so I have no idea if that is good wire or not. Though I do see several references to 70ºC which I assume is the rating of the wire insulation. That's fairly low but usable. You just might need to use one or two sizes larger depending on the use.

Back