diy solar

diy solar

Heads Up Alert: Li-Ion & LFP prices going UP this month.

Steve_S

Offgrid Cabineer, N.E. Ontario, Canada
This is a General Heads Up for all considering to buy new Cells & Battery Assemblies.
September 11, 2020.

I received word this afternoon from some suppliers that Battery Cell prices are going up by the manufacturers. They are citing the increasing demand for supplies & materials. Apparently EVE, Calb CATL and some others are making similar adjustments and will be reflected in pricing VERY SOON. Apparently this will be happening fairly soon. I was not informed at to how much of an increase to expect as every vendor / trader has to renegotiate, and that will likely be affected by the volumes they contract for. I can say, that a few of the manufacturers "intimated" that this is due to demand from the EV Sector putting pressure through the whole supply chain, which if anyone is following the EV side of things, it makes sense given recent developments in that sector.

You have been alerted to this possibility.
This in NO WAY should be interpreted that you should rush. That is Your Personal Decision but remember to use Due Diligence in your purchases.
I have no further advanced information.

I felt it important to give fellow members the Heads Up so they can consider it while they are researching their future purchases.

Good Luck and Have Fun
Steve

Not many views...
Hopefully, people will notice this sooner than later. I expect this will come into effect pretty quickly from my understanding, as in within days, not weeks. Even with the September blowout sales going on. Sure am glad I got my cells when I did.

Thanks for the heads up,i have been spending money and building packs all summer,finally have what i need for a while.1000 amp hours at 48 volt is a great feeling!
solar panels and inverters and charge controllers/wires/cables/tools was purchased last year.now i am all set up.

My cells are on a boat so I'm good. Still will be interesting to see how much of a price increase this could be.

I sooo want to order more. But dang ... I have to get my current stuff to me and together and working first.

Glad I went with the additional numbers.

Amy has replied that they have plenty of stock to last the September promotion, so Xuba's price should remain the same for the next 2 weeks....

Things change it seems !

Shenzhen Xuba's month-long September promotion has unexpectedly ended, and Shenzhen Basen will be raising prices from 21/9.

so your saying, i should have picked up the extra 4 I was thinking of, to make a 3x12v system... @#$$%%.... thanks for he head up.

SEPTEMBER 21 - 2020 UPDATE

Well, the Ear on the ground in China delivers some news, NOT GOOD NEWS.

EVE who has been at the top of the list for Cells these past few months has decided that normal brokers & Vendor/Reseller's are troublesome and has decided to cease such distribution from Oct.1, 2020. They will be opening their own retail storefront and cell costs will go up "considerably" for public sales.

I have been made aware by 3 different vendors that they are now activey seeking althernate manaufacturers with equivalent or better quality cells at similar reasonable pricing.

I checked with Amy Wan of XUBA/Luyuan and she tells me (via email exchange) they have 500 of the 280AH cells remaining and that EVE will no longer be supplying them to their companies as well.

Bottom Line: Damned Shame, it may be prudent to place orders now if your ready, as 500 Cells will not take long to make vanish.

Good Luck & Happy Shopping folks.
Steve

I checked with Basen last night and she said they have a large supply in stock and that they would continue to have them as long as Eve manufactures them.
But maybe that is above her pay grade

Thank you Steve for the heads up.

This will probably be an issue mainly for those wanting to replace a bloated/underperforming cell, or those wanting to extend their pack in series/parallel.

It would be a shame if EVE cells become unavailable or uncompetitive to DIY builders.

6269468837384725044.png

1600719733412.png
1600721020419.png
However there are similar 277-280Ah cells made by CATL, ETC and Lishen for about $70ish each.

Then is the slightly bulkier bracketed form of BYD cells in 86Ah, 130Ah and 200Ah capacity

1599308367257.png

those are 202ah cells....I am told that Lishen makes a 272ah cell that consistently have actual capacity tests of 286ah.

Has anyone contacted EVE directly on this ceasing business with individual sells around the world?
Which sellers are stating this to be true?

I don't think the problem is with the sellers but with the buyers.

A major manufacture uses a secondary channel market to maximize profits per Adam Smith -Supply and Demand Curve -for quality conscious use brand naming to get the snobby type consumers to purchase at a high price and all the money under the curve a that price point-then a no name unmarked brand (so it does not cost compete directly with the higher priced one) with its lower price to real in the cheap consumer market to get the incremental area/profit under that price point S/D curve. For this to work the two brands must be seen as separate and NOT equal. Then there is the money saved by the manufacture in not having to deal with 10 year warranties and such that is used to support the lower pricing of the 2nd tier brand.

Then comes along a bunch of bragheart American Consumers that want to climb the tallest mountain so their chest thumping can be heard throughout the jungle about how clever and smart they are by buying the 2nd tier batteries that are really the same as the 1st tier-and how their cleverness saved them all that money!. They also insist on that long warranty that they did not pay for and bad mouth the 1st tier brand when its not forthcoming. This nonsense is not something that the 1st tier manufacturer wants to deal with just to get the marginal increased profits by offering a 2nd tier product/pricing. They also have to contend with the 1st tier customers who now feel they have been cheated by being sold the same thing that others paid less for.

Rule number 1 in gold mining-keep it quiet and don't go around bragging about it like American Consumers insist on doing to show how intelligent they are. Thats how we got the 49er Gold Rush here in CA and gold rushes elsewhere as clever Americans wanted to brag about how clever they were.

I would suspect that EVE is either selling enough 1st Tier batteries and decided to drop out of the 2nd tier market or that they will come out with a better defined separate but unequal 2nd tier product that is not confused with the 1st tier, and this will stop the American Braghearts!

SEPTEMBER 21 - 2020 UPDATE

Well, the Ear on the ground in China delivers some news, NOT GOOD NEWS.

EVE who has been at the top of the list for Cells these past few months has decided that normal brokers & Vendor/Reseller's are troublesome and has decided to cease such distribution from Oct.1, 2020. They will be opening their own retail storefront and cell costs will go up "considerably" for public sales.

I have been made aware by 3 different vendors that they are now activey seeking althernate manaufacturers with equivalent or better quality cells at similar reasonable pricing.

I checked with Amy Wan of XUBA/Luyuan and she tells me (via email exchange) they have 500 of the 280AH cells remaining and that EVE will no longer be supplying them to their companies as well.

Bottom Line: Damned Shame, it may be prudent to place orders now if your ready, as 500 Cells will not take long to make vanish.

Good Luck & Happy Shopping folks.
Steve

This will probably be an issue mainly for those wanting to replace a bloated/underperforming cell

Yeah that's my biggest concern. How will all the suppliers be able to honor the warranty when they run out. It will mean having to go directly to EVE for replacements or add on's and we don't know if they will have a minimum order quantity. Lots of unknowns for now.

Yeah that's my biggest concern. How will all the suppliers be able to honor the warranty when they run out. It will mean having to go directly to EVE for replacements or add on's and we don't know if they will have a minimum order quantity. Lots of unknowns for now.
Suppliers should be like any other retailer... replace with equal or greater value...

Suppliers should be like any other retailer... replace with equal or greater value...

One must also consider the dimensions along with the cell specs. Replacing with greater value doesn't help either. We are talking about cells. If it was a complete battery then it would be a different matter.

Yes true, I didn't mean Ford will take back your defective Escape , and give you a Expedition. Its equal replacement.

Back