diy solar

diy solar

Headway 38120's for CyberPower PR1500LCD UPS Lead Acid Replacement

mimotion

Hello all. I've been enjoying Will's channel for years and I'm so happy he created this forum! This is my 1st post.

I have a couple of CyberPower PR1500LCD battery backups that use a pair of 12v 17Ah VRLA batteries in series. I need to replace the batteries and new ones are $155.
I can get 16 * Headway 38120 for $160. I'm thinking those in 8S2P would give me 24v at 16Ah. Did I get that 8S2P right? 8 in series and 2 of those in parallel?
I still have to confirm that DIY pack would fit in the UPS battery compartment. Benefits would be longer life, deeper safe discharge so that 16Ah should run the UPS longer than the 17Ah from the LA batteries.

My questions are:
  1. Does this sound like a good idea or am I missing something?
  2. Will the UPS safely charge these LiFePo4 batteries? As I understand it, compatibility with LA chargers is one of the benefits of LiFePo4 batteries.
  3. Will the UPS actually use the extra discharge depth available in the LiFePo4 batteries or will it stop discharge at 50-60% of capacity like it would/should for the LA batteries? That's my big question. Will I actually get a longer runtime with LiFePo4 batteries?
Thanks for any ideas and feedback you can offer.

- Robert

If they will fit, they will work in the ups, but the charging profile will barely charge the cells. And the LA profile will disconnect at the battery set point from before. I don’t know if that would equal 50% or fully depleted...
also, the float trickle charge can damage the LFP cells.
i am tinkering with several ups devices powered with LFP cells, and it works, but I’m dealing with used cells, so not too worried about ruining them.

If they will fit, they will work in the ups, but the charging profile will barely charge the cells. And the LA profile will disconnect at the battery set point from before. I don’t know if that would equal 50% or fully depleted...
also, the float trickle charge can damage the LFP cells.
i am tinkering with several ups devices powered with LFP cells, and it works, but I’m dealing with used cells, so not too worried about ruining them.
Thanks for the info Supervstech. I'm sad this is the answer but you no doubt saved me from wasting some good LFP cells. Thanks again! - Robert

Back