diy solar

diy solar

Heard something about using two separate battery banks one deep cycle the other lead acid. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this.

Cynic

Someone told me that people use a lithium deep cycle bank to keep the lead acid batteries always charged above 50% so the batteries live extremely long. Was wondering if there are any quick references or builds like this I can find. It sounded like a good idea to me from my understanding of batteries… I just put in a 2 barrel septic system that pretty much works on the same concept. So example solar panel goes to charger that goes to lead acid battery bank that goes to maybe a battery isolator then to another charger that charges the second bank… guessing the deep cycle lithium since that bank might get used passed 50% then the first bank would still be charged just waiting to charge the second bank. Just wondering if I’m on the right path or not. Thanks; any input it appreciated.

Someone told me that people use a lithium deep cycle bank to keep the lead acid batteries always charged above 50% so the batteries live extremely long. Was wondering if there are any quick references or builds like this I can find. It sounded like a good idea to me from my understanding of batteries… I just put in a 2 barrel septic system that pretty much works on the same concept. So example solar panel goes to charger that goes to lead acid battery bank that goes to maybe a battery isolator then to another charger that charges the second bank… guessing the deep cycle lithium since that bank might get used passed 50% then the first bank would still be charged just waiting to charge the second bank. Just wondering if I’m on the right path or not. Thanks; any input it appreciated.
I think lithium is usually used not to keep lead batteries above 50% But rather to bring them to a full state of charge which for the sake of the battery’s longevity should occur frequently. Getting lead acid batteries from 80 % to full can be a real challenge with solar especially with flooded lead acid.

I have both types, and charge them separately, but will connect both banks to the inverter when I need lots of amps. I've never done a deep discharge when they are connected together. I have no problem keeping lead acid fully charged. I try not to fully charge the LiFePO4unless I am going to discharge them soon.

Back