diy solar

diy solar

Heater element? (not for water)

There should be some kind of thermal paste which you could put around a heating element to transfer the heat into the mass.
You will not gain anything by this except maybe a slightly faster heat transfer. Maybe.
You will be putting all of the available heat from the element into the heat storage mass- conducting it “better” when you’re at 100% efficiency already is going to still yield 100% in practical terms.

Do you have any recommendations?
Yes, a hybrid (or HP) hot water heater is already built to do exactly this. In fact, I would even hook it up inline between another and use it to preheat HW as well for additional benefit (also good for year round use). This would be far more efficient use of this energy all around IMO. If you didn't want the cool dry air byproduct of the HP (I use it to dehumidify my basement), then it could be directed outside. Some areas have rebates and I believe there's still a federal tax credit on these as well making them fairly affordable.

Why not try an old "Nightstore Heater or take the elements out and use them as you wish?

Back