diy solar

diy solar

Heating Schematic, what have I missed? Any advice or thoughts.

David in the UK

A little background, we have gas warm air heating fitted in the 60's when the house was built. It was just replaced with a newer model that has a built-in water heater that can put out about 3.3Kw/h.
On the roof we have grid tied 7kw/h PV panels along with batteries. I would like to put a further 1.5Kw/h worth of panels on the only other piece of the roof where they would be viable, this would be used solely for heating water via immersion heating. (I did look at air source but it wasn't going to be possible).
I also looked at solar thermal panels but for several reasons I've had to rule them out.

I have 2 stainless steel unvented tanks although I won't be using them with mains pressure, so more as thermal stores to heat water through a mains fed heat exchanger. My thoughts are the lower tank on the 1st floor is only heated (by gas) only in a few winter months, the higher tank should be sufficient for the rest of the year. Take a look at the drawing, What are your thoughts? I was hoping gravity feed might eliminate the requirement of 2 pumps?

Attachments

• Heating schematic.jpg
    Heating schematic.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 5
Back