diy solar

diy solar

Heavy tools

Robertsfp

I want to run ridged 300 pipe machine which has a 1700W motor. I need to use it for at least 5 or 6 hours. Would this be possible with a lithium battery home made generator? I feel like the invert it would have to be pretty heavy duty? Any thought?

Make sure your battery can provide the amps the inverter is going to pull.

A 1700W motor likely has a MUCH higher surge current when it starts. THAT is what you need to size your inverter for. If it has a soft start that will help.

Is it 120V, 240V single or 3-phase?

1700W * 6 hours /day = 10.2kWh

10.2kWh / 5 = 2040W of solar panels assuming your climate/region adheres to the 5 hour rule (average solar harvest is panel rating * 5 hours).

You would need a bank large enough to handle the current draw. A 48V bank would probably be best to keep the current as low as possible (35A). That would give you some flexibility.

Sizing for the current draw alone is a minimum approach. Likely that you would be restricted to running your 6 hours primarily during solar.

If you want to be able to provide 24 hours of run time w/o solar charging, you would need a 10.2/0.8 = 12.75kWh LFP bank or a 10.2/0.5 20.4kWh FLA/AGM bank. Either would be VERY expensive.

1700W for 6 hours (10.2kWh) is about what my entire off-grid dual RV "compound" uses on a daily basis. I have 3kWh of panels and 12kWh of batteries.

It probably has a brush-type universal motor, so little to no starting surge. Therefore not so demanding on the inverter.
It will probably run on DC, although the switch may not be good at interrupting the current. You could use an external switch that is rated for DC.
How about a 120V stack of batteries, with PV and chargers on sections, e.g. 5, 24V setups.
If you do this you don't get to have GFCI, so don't get wet.
Are you going to cut threads continuously for 6 hours? Or on 10% of the time, 90% of the time inserting and removing pipe? Much smaller battery in that case.
I have a similar one, but with pipes parallel to the rotating axis as a brace for with hand-held threader/cutter/reamer.

1700 watts is 140 some 12 volt amps plus some for the inverter loss. I have a 12 volt 2000W inverter that runs my microwave at 150 amps. I think with your need you should start thinking about 24 volts rather than 12. Your problem is the amount of amp-hours you need in the battery. Then there is the recharging problem. Ridged will need a soft start or just spin the head by hand until it starts.

Back