diy solar

diy solar

Height of buss bar above top of cell.

hwse

Solar Enthusiast
I am designing some spacers for the fixture for my cells and also need to know how big the gap is between the top of the cell and the bottom of the buss bars on the threaded stud and the threaded screw-in terminal studs. I am 3-d printing spacers that will create a 2mm gap between each sell while keeping them from moving in a boat so that the vibration stress is not on the terminals. By placing them this way, the fixture is only on the edge of the top and bottom where the aluminum case is supported on three edges. Right now, the corner spacers have a 4mm tall flange that sits on top of the cell and extends beyond the terminals. I need to know if there will be more than a 4mm gap under the buss bars.

Attachments

• LFP battery note.png
    LFP battery note.png
    172.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I am designing some spacers for the fixture for my cells and also need to know how big the gap is between the top of the cell and the bottom of the buss bars on the threaded stud and the treaded screw-in terminal studs. I am 3-d printing spacers that will create a 2mm gap between each sell while keeping them from moving in a boat so that the vibration stress is not on the terminals. By placing them this way, the fixture is only on the edge of the top and bottom where the aluminum case is supported on three edges. Right now, the corner spacers have a 4mm tall flange that sits on top of the cell and extends beyond the terminals. I need to know if there will be more than a 4mm gap under the buss bars.
It is going to be tight...and it is going to vary from one cell model to the next (particularly if it is from different manufacturers.
BTW: If you buy cells with the welded studs be more likely to have the space you need under the bus bars.

I am designing some spacers for the fixture for my cells and also need to know how big the gap is between the top of the cell and the bottom of the buss bars on the threaded stud and the treaded screw-in terminal studs. I am 3-d printing spacers that will create a 2mm gap between each sell while keeping them from moving in a boat so that the vibration stress is not on the terminals. By placing them this way, the fixture is only on the edge of the top and bottom where the aluminum case is supported on three edges. Right now, the corner spacers have a 4mm tall flange that sits on top of the cell and extends beyond the terminals. I need to know if there will be more than a 4mm gap under the buss bars.
I just measured on an EVE LF280K with welded studs, and there is just a hair over 5mm clearance between the bus bar and the top of the cell.
That's not a lot of clearance, and I imagine that it's going to vary from cell to cell or brand like FilterGuy says.

It is going to be tight...and it is going to vary from one cell model to the next (particularly if it is from different manufacturers.
BTW: If you buy cells with the welded studs be more likely to have the space you need under the bus bars.
I am only looking at EVE 280K cells with either the welded 6m stud or the new threaded screw-in terminal studs.

Last edited:
I just measured on an EVE LF280K with welded studs, and there is just a hair over 5mm clearance between the bus bar and the top of the cell.
That's not a lot of clearance, and I imagine that it's going to vary from cell to cell or brand like FilterGuy says.
Thanks. That is the cell that I am planning to use but have not yet decided on the stud type. I would also like to find out how much clearance there is on the threaded screw-in terminal studs.
I plan to use the multi-ply flexible buss bars which have a hump and might give a bit more clearance.

Last edited:
Sorry... I am not sure what you are referring to. Is this just the 6mm threaded hole that we have seen for several years?
No, there seems to be a new welded stud option for a threaded socket that takes a grub screw rather than a threaded stud.

Attachments

• Threaded Screw-in Terminal Stud.png
    Threaded Screw-in Terminal Stud.png
    169.4 KB · Views: 2
I would also like to find out how much clearance there is on the treaded screw-in terminal studs.
I don't currently have access to any of the welded stud cells, but going from memory, the stud raises the bus bar by ~1mm. Consequently it is going to be pretty close to 4 mm without the welded stud.

No, there seems to be a new welded stud option for a threaded socket that takes a grub screw rather than a threaded stud.
Oh. got it. I remember seeing pics of those now. I have not had any of those so don't know much about them.

Back