diy solar

diy solar

Hello everyone! So much information my brain is fried.

ManCrafting

This place is an awesome amount of advice and information. I'm currently converting a 2019 V Nose Enclosed trailer into a camper. I've just completed insulation and before I start the build out I want to install all wiring. In order to do that I need to figure out my plan for power. Currently, this is my thinking.
I will have access to shore power more often than not. That said, I want to be able to boondock on a limited basis.
I started this project with the intention of living in it 4 nights a week for 3 months while I go to Georgia Trade School to up my knowledge in Welding. During this, I'll be in a couple of campgrounds near the school. That means that Solar won't be a necessity. I will ultimately be traveling with my wife and occasionally my kids who are older. 15 and 19.

I'm fairly confident about working with electricity, but combining 110 and 12v seems a little more involved and honestly a little intimidating. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it.

I'm trying to figure out lighting, outlets, switches, batteries, inverters, and pumps for water. Sorry if I am rambling. I will head deeper into this site and see what I can get from it all and reach out for help when I get stuck. Thanks, everyone!

This "blueprint" is probably a good way to start:

It addresses both 12VDC and 120VAC loads. It comes down to what you want to do with it.

Using link #1 in my signature (turn your phone sideways if you don't see it), you can download the spreadsheet and conduct an energy audit by listing everything you want to power, its power requirements in Watts (volts * amps if they don't give Watts) and the number of hours you want to run it per day.

That will give you the info you need to plan. Do you want to be able to run everything while off grid or not? Either way, you can design accordingly.

If you plan to use A/C off-grid, that's going to be extremely costly, but it's possible. If you do anticipate needing A/C, it's worth investigating mini-splits as they are dramatically more efficient than typical rooftop RV units.

For optimal "cool" factor, you would have shore power feeding into your inverter with your inverter connected to batteries. This would allow for shore power charging of the batteries if needed, AND you'd basically have a UPS system where if you lose shore power, you would switch over to battery power almost instantly. This would also allow you to power everything with a generator and charge your off-grid batteries.

In most cases, 12V items will be most efficient. However, 12V appliances may be far more costly, so it's a trade-off. Lighting, 12V water pump and most things that are 12V in an RV are likely the better choice. However, if you need heat, fire is the way to go. Electric heat is very costly when trying to feed off grid. Most mini-splits are available as heat pumps, which take a little of the sting out.

Last edited:
This "blueprint" is probably a good way to start:

It addresses both 12VDC and 120VAC loads. It comes down to what you want to do with it.

Using link #1 in my signature (turn your phone sideways if you don't see it), you can download the spreadsheet and conduct an energy audit by listing everything you want to power, its power requirements in Watts (volts * amps if they don't give Watts) and the number of hours you want to run it per day.

That will give you the info you need to plan. Do you want to be able to run everything while off grid or not? Either way, you can design accordingly.

If you plan to use A/C off-grid, that's going to be extremely costly, but it's possible. If you do anticipate needing A/C, it's worth investigating mini-splits as they are dramatically more efficient than typical rooftop RV units.

For optimal "cool" factor, you would have shore power feeding into your inverter with your inverter connected to batteries. This would allow for shore power charging of the batteries if needed, AND you'd basically have a UPS system where if you lose shore power, you would switch over to battery power almost instantly. This would also allow you to power everything with a generator and charge your off-grid batteries.

In most cases, 12V items will be most efficient. However, 12V appliances may be far more costly, so it's a trade-off. Lighting, 12V water pump and most things that are 12V in an RV are likely the better choice. However, if you need heat, fire is the way to go. Electric heat is very costly when trying to feed off grid. Most mini-splits are available as heat pumps, which take a little of the sting out.
Thanks so much! Going through the information now. Big help.

Back