diy solar

diy solar

Hello fellow DIYers!

DIYer

I'm new to the solar business and am in no way installing my solar system. Just call me a 'Jack of all trades and master of online DIY video binging'. I do however like to commend those residential DIYers who can install their own systems. It's folks like you that get those 'juices' flowing in the brain which leads to innovation beyond big companies.

I've got this idea that may/may not have been already addressed here in reference to solar and electric vehicle (EV) charging. I understand many areas have their own way of dealing with solar energy and off grid systems, so this is not a fix all. My concept is more of looking at the whole picture of having enough charging to offset future increase of EVs on the road whether through going green or mandated legislature. The big problem is 'you' as the reader either enabling the Government to restrict or Energy Companys to outbid/buy the residential customer who just wants to make extra energy available to everyone with little to no cost.

I got it...some of us don't want to share energy, and would rather store it instead with batteries...more power to you to even do that because I sure can't...yet! What if you could sell that energy $1 for $1 or KwH for cash? What if it could be done legally without Government regulation/intervention or power company grievances that lock the residential customer into binding contracts that take away...your own produced clean energy? Trust me that they will try to come after you for bringing down their profits or having deep pockets for leaning on Government officials. Heck who knows if my account here doesn't get banned just for free speech on making the 'Customers' ruler of their own domain?

Well, enough of standing on my soap box, but if your 'light' has come on while reading this or you're getting an epiphany like myself then let's chat to see if this is something the masses would like to see to pave the way for the future. Just so you know...I am not endorsing any company or pushing any Government legislation, but rather keeping the $$$ in your pocket.

I think there are plenty of us here that are off grid (fully or partial) that use all their generated energy without any legislation getting in the way. Will has a solar array he uses to charge his EV and run his AC and mine come crypto among others, others store excess power in hot water, or indeed use a grid tied system and get paid for sending energy to the grid. The grid has rules, but there is nothing stopping anyone from doing a more local, community based grid. I think there are a few tiny house communities, etc. that are doing this.

I think there are plenty of us here that are off grid (fully or partial) that use all their generated energy without any legislation getting in the way. Will has a solar array he uses to charge his EV and run his AC and mine come crypto among others, others store excess power in hot water, or indeed use a grid tied system and get paid for sending energy to the grid. The grid has rules, but there is nothing stopping anyone from doing a more local, community based grid. I think there are a few tiny house communities, etc. that are doing this.
When you get paid for your energy, is it equal ratio in price and not for example the power company charges you let's say $0.10 a Kw you buy off of them, but they pay you $0.01 back for your energy? Where I reside, you do get a Kwh per Kwh rollover every month for a year, but then they zero you out at the end and if you've made more than your usage, you give it up for free to the power company.

My idea is not giving it away, but rather selling it to an EV user instead. Of course you'd need a negligible amount to even make it worthwhile to that particular customer, but that is where this model may/may not fit all solar users. The case is that you could make money off of your unused energy and still yet support the shortage of EV charging stations throughout the country. Yes this will be a big movement, but it may also be the answer rather than big businesses or even the Government making energy decisions for you. Look at how we are confined by gas prices today. A monopoly, well if looking at gasoline usage as a whole...yeah!

Back