diy solar

diy solar

Hello from a data freak

bsmith993

Hi folks. Discovered Will's YT channel and was thoroughly impressed. Great videos, Will. Couple hours later and I've been enjoying reading this forum. I currently have a "starter" system on my RV consisting of 2 Renogy 100 watt panels, a Renogy 30a Wanderer controller and just a dealer provided, el cheapo flooded battery. I'm REALLY anxious to get more battery in there.

My unique component is my homegrown battery and charge monitor. I'm a home automation enthusiast / data freak and there is nothing better to me than really being able to present a whole mountain of data on stuff that matters to everybo.... I mean, no one other than me. It is still quite a work in progress and someday I'll have a full rundown on everything for the DIY side of the forum, but for now I'll give a broad view.

Alongside my basic solar system, I have a 12v branch in my front electronics bay with 2 12v-5v buck converters. One powers a Nighthawk wifi hotspot, and the other a Raspberry Pi model 3 mini computer. Perched on top of my Raspberry is my own design and custom printed circuit board that consists of 2 analog-digital converters so that my Raspberry can read voltage to calculate amperage over 3 shunts (solar charge IN, converter charge IN, and house load OUT) , along with a simple voltage divider circuit so my raspberry can read the current battery voltage. I have a python script I wrote running on the Raspberry that sends data every 10 seconds or so reporting to my Amazon Web Services hosted VM running an Influx database to capture all data points. Then I use a Grafana front end to display data. Grafana is a nice tool because I can customize the view of data however complex or simple I like, for any time period, and it can even make a nice "app" like interface for a smartphone. Further, since I use a regular old lead acid battery, I profiled my battery voltages in my python script based upon load so I can get an "estimated" battery capacity despite the current load. (No more false low readings or waiting for rest periods to see state of charge. i.e. 12.5v at rest may only be 80%, but 12.5v while pulling 5amps would still be near 100%. At least in my testing. So I correct for that in real time. Take that, dummy button on my RV panel!!) I live in an area where my RV cannot be stored at home so the nice thing for me is that I get a constant, AND archived data feed on the health of my system all the time, even when in storage.

Detailed 7 day view: Note the daily charge patterns with a relatively idle battery. And yes, my humidity readings are currently whack.
rvmon.png

Smartphone view:
rvmon2.png
And my groovy PCB. Ignore my sloppy header soldering job.
20200108_142258.jpg

Someday soon I'll get pics of the electronics bay in the RV, and will have source code and more detailed info if anyone were to ever be interested.

Anyway, glad to be part of this forum and look forward to learning and possibly even contributing from you all!

Last edited:
Having spent a carer in measurement, My microprocessor based camp has a couple of LED that flash. I can look from the bed and tell the state of the battery, if I'm diverting to heat water and when the fridge will come on next. If the milk doesn't stink and the beer is cold, everything is ok. I understand, I used to love this stuff too. My control panel.

GROMIT.jpg

Hi folks. Discovered Will's YT channel and was thoroughly impressed. Great videos, Will. Couple hours later and I've been enjoying reading this forum. I currently have a "starter" system on my RV consisting of 2 Renogy 100 watt panels, a Renogy 30a Wanderer controller and just a dealer provided, el cheapo flooded battery. I'm REALLY anxious to get more battery in there.

My unique component is my homegrown battery and charge monitor. I'm a home automation enthusiast / data freak and there is nothing better to me than really being able to present a whole mountain of data on stuff that matters to everybo.... I mean, no one other than me. It is still quite a work in progress and someday I'll have a full rundown on everything for the DIY side of the forum, but for now I'll give a broad view.

Alongside my basic solar system, I have a 12v branch in my front electronics bay with 2 12v-5v buck converters. One powers a Nighthawk wifi hotspot, and the other a Raspberry Pi model 3 mini computer. Perched on top of my Raspberry is my own design and custom printed circuit board that consists of 2 analog-digital converters so that my Raspberry can read voltage to calculate amperage over 3 shunts (solar charge IN, converter charge IN, and house load OUT) , along with a simple voltage divider circuit so my raspberry can read the current battery voltage. I have a python script I wrote running on the Raspberry that sends data every 10 seconds or so reporting to my Amazon Web Services hosted VM running an Influx database to capture all data points. Then I use a Grafana front end to display data. Grafana is a nice tool because I can customize the view of data however complex or simple I like, for any time period, and it can even make a nice "app" like interface for a smartphone. Further, since I use a regular old lead acid battery, I profiled my battery voltages in my python script based upon load so I can get an "estimated" battery capacity despite the current load. (No more false low readings or waiting for rest periods to see state of charge. i.e. 12.5v at rest may only be 80%, but 12.5v while pulling 5amps would still be near 100%. At least in my testing. So I correct for that in real time. Take that, dummy button on my RV panel!!) I live in an area where my RV cannot be stored at home so the nice thing for me is that I get a constant, AND archived data feed on the health of my system all the time, even when in storage.

Detailed 7 day view: Note the daily charge patterns with a relatively idle battery. And yes, my humidity readings are currently whack.
View attachment 18149

Smartphone view:
View attachment 18150
And my groovy PCB. Ignore my sloppy header soldering job.
View attachment 18152

Someday soon I'll get pics of the electronics bay in the RV, and will have source code and more detailed info if anyone were to ever be interested.

Anyway, glad to be part of this forum and look forward to learning and possibly even contributing from you all!
This is what I need to monitor my batteries at our remote cabin. How do I obtain the monitor?

This is what I need to monitor my batteries at our remote cabin. How do I obtain the monitor?
Sadly, this is not something that you can get. It is something I built and is extremely DIY from electronic components, to coding and data handling, server and application hosting...

What is your internet situation and what do you wish to monitor. Just battery voltage or energy in an out as well.
I have internet. Need battery monitoring voltage abd State of charge.

So I use one of these peacefair devices and a, raspberry pi. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4N9TX8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_ZJkHFbF7MDDTC
The drawback is the device can not tell weather the current is coming or going. So I actually use 2 one for input and one for output. This gives me a decent idea of what is happening when I'm not there. But for pure monitoring voltage gives you a pretty good idea of what is happening. It's. Pretty simple setup.

So I use one of these peacefair devices and a, raspberry pi. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4N9TX8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_ZJkHFbF7MDDTC
The drawback is the device can not tell weather the current is coming or going. So I actually use 2 one for input and one for output. This gives me a decent idea of what is happening when I'm not there. But for pure monitoring voltage gives you a pretty good idea of what is happening. It's. Pretty simple setup.
Can I connect to my existing shunt that is used by the on-site Bogart Engineering Battery Monitor?

Can I connect to my existing shunt that is used by the on-site Bogart Engineering Battery Monitor?

Yes you can you will just need to adjust the software so that it reads the correct power. I made a program to calibrate it. I run a load and measure amps with a multi meter then tell my program the amps it takes care of math from there. Your Bogart meter will do the same as my DVM

Back