diy solar

diy solar

Hello from Alabama

Tom1962

Soon to start building a LiPo bank for my bugout bus. Looking at the 310ah cells from Alibaba.

Welcome to the forum!!!

Some folks are saying that for mobile system 200Ah cells are the largest aluminum cells that should be used. Supposedly there is not enough internal support for the vibration and movements. Other people are using the high Ah Cells in RVs and seem quite happy with them.

My systems are all 200aH cells, but that was the 'big' cells available when I built the systems so it is not like I limited myself when I purchased them.

I can't say who is correct.... but you may want to research it and come to your own conclusion before you buy.

Note: From what I understand, the plastic case cells don't have the same issues.

Thanks. Admittedly I've not heard of the issue with the larger cells, so I will definitely look into their vibration tolerances before I purchase. My plan was to isolate the battery housing (16 cells) with a series of looped steel braided cables to mitigate the vibrations anyways. Originally I was gonna go with Fortune cells as they look very robust, but they cost significantly more. So if I can design an anti-vibration housing on the cheap, then I'm gonna risk it.

Thanks again for the welcome and advice!

Have you done an energy audit to plan the needs? If not, you may want to check this out;

Without some idea of what your needs are, you don't really know what to buy.

Also, do a complete design for the system before you buy anything. Too many people jump in and start buying before they have a complete design and end up regretting their initial choices.

we should talk! Im also in AL (MGM area) putting up a 12KW system on a solark12k and am about to pull the trigger on cells from Dongguan for a 16s2p bank from Hayley @ Dongguan Lightning New Energy. I read up on top/bottom balancing and think Im ready to rock. May not even do a BMS, may just bottom balance and call it a day.

Back