diy solar

diy solar

Hello From Cambridge, ontario

knuckles

Hello Everyone.

My wife and I have purchased a water access only cabin. We have been currently getting our electrical needs via gasoline generator when needed.
We are looking to make the switch to solar power.
Our current needs are fairly small. we have been looking at a solar DC fridge, 12v on demand water pump. and we already utilize led bulbs.
Other than that our energy needs are limited to occasional charging of mobile phones, Bluetooth speakers etc.

Its pretty much a complete rebuild on the cabin so we are looking to keep costs low and perhaps expand later if needed.

The fridge stats are approx 565w/24hrs in a 25deg Celsius environment, or 62 watts when operating.

I was thinking of keeping the system costs down for now and utilizing a cheaper all in one perhaps 3000w growatt.
Considering a small panel set up perhaps 4, 24v 330watt.
Battery situation is where i am really stuck.
Considering buying 2 24volt lithium 200ah packs. Is this enough capacity for storage? and will I have enough panels to charge it?
The cabin is located in Kipawa Quebec, its has perfect southern exposure and gets huge amounts of sunshine.

We will be staying at the cabin for no more than 1 week at a time and we have the generator as a backup

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
I have been reading and reading and reading posts, so much my eyes are bugging out.

Welcome to the forum.

Link #5 in my sig for the available solar in your area.
Link #1 in my sig for an energy audit - establish what you want to run, how much power it uses and how many hours you want to use it per day.

With the above two, you can design an appropriate system very easily.

Assuming you mean 565Wh for the fridge (which sounds reasonable for a small fridge), you're probably almost there.

I couldn't find your town, so I used the lat/long from Google maps and used PVWatts (link #6 in my sig).

PDF attached.

It's a model of a 1kW array fixed due South at 47° from horizontal.

1611100656862.png

1. annual production per year.
  2. Solar hours per day by month.
  3. AC energy from the panels, i.e., this includes a 14% inefficiency in converting battery DC to 120VAC, so your DC stuff will be more efficient. Divide by the number of days in the month to get daily kWh production.

Attachments

• Kipawa Quebec 1kW Array.pdf
    71.8 KB · Views: 4
Had to google it - Temiskaming is waaay up there! Were you planning on living there in the winter too, or just summer and fall mebbe?

Welcome to the forum, quite a few of us Canadians here...
A link to keep: 24V Solar Panel (solarshoppingmall.com)

Batteries are gonna be tricky as your only Part-Time and LFP does not like freezing temps and while we are having a Heat Wave at -11C right now, you know it's get's cooler than that far too often.

I very strongly suggest that you do your research and work out a plan before buying a single thing... Take your time, lots of time till spring arrives so no panic need be applied. Do keep in mind if you are ordering anything from China it takes a while to get here and their New Year holiday is just about to happen (Mid Feb.) and that pretty much kills a month of shipments.

If you want more local vendors, I know a few, some more local to you as well, which are good to deal with. Two GOOD Suppliers to peek at.
Solacity - Canadian Green Power Goods & Great Advice!
Solar Panels | Renewable Solutions | Low cost power (dnmsolar.com)

Hope it helps, Good Luck.

Welcome to the forum, quite a few of us Canadians here...
A link to keep: 24V Solar Panel (solarshoppingmall.com)

Batteries are gonna be tricky as your only Part-Time and LFP does not like freezing temps and while we are having a Heat Wave at -11C right now, you know it's get's cooler than that far too often.

I very strongly suggest that you do your research and work out a plan before buying a single thing... Take your time, lots of time till spring arrives so no panic need be applied. Do keep in mind if you are ordering anything from China it takes a while to get here and their New Year holiday is just about to happen (Mid Feb.) and that pretty much kills a month of shipments.

If you want more local vendors, I know a few, some more local to you as well, which are good to deal with. Two GOOD Suppliers to peek at.
Solacity - Canadian Green Power Goods & Great Advice!
Solar Panels | Renewable Solutions | Low cost power (dnmsolar.com)

Hope it helps, Good Luck.
Hey Thanks Steve.

i had been using the solarshopping mall as a cross reference for pricing for a few weeks now. Haven't seen too many other suppliers in their price range in this area. But I will definitely investigate your other 2 links. I do not believe i have looked at them before. (y)

The winter temps there can get wicked cold..brrr..great ice fishing. They drive trucks on the ice like its a road..
My thought was that if i could run with just a few batteries i would take them home to keep warm. If i did someday purchase a sled or 2, I could go up in the winter and just run on the gas inverter.
The solar would be for spring thru fall...the bulk of when we are there.

Thanks for the advice. I have a ton of projects so I am really in no rush. My garage is filling up with building materials and it probably looks like I am a hoarder when I open the door....:LOL:

I do however want to have a plan and since everything is water access, the more I can pre-assemble, and prepack the better.

Thanks again.
cheers

Had to google it - Temiskaming is waaay up there! Were you planning on living there in the winter too, or just summer and fall mebbe?
Its currently a vacation spot. Or should I say massive work zone..with huge potential.
We will likely keep this place for a bit then sell it for something we can drive to easily when we are older.

I am thinking we will be there from spring thru fall. But only when we have time off work, long weekends etc.

I couldn't find your town, so I used the lat/long from Google maps and used PVWatts (link #6 in my sig).

PDF attached.

It's a model of a 1kW array fixed due South at 47° from horizontal.

View attachment 33788

1. annual production per year.
  2. Solar hours per day by month.
  3. AC energy from the panels, i.e., this includes a 14% inefficiency in converting battery DC to 120VAC, so your DC stuff will be more efficient. Divide by the number of days in the month to get daily kWh production.
what more can I say...thank you, thank you, thank you.
If I was closer and there was no covid, I would be offering everyone beers as thanks....Now all I can do is say Cheers.
I truly appreciate the advice and time you spent to write your post. (y)

I'm up near Algonquin Park... so... tuned into the local climate... hehehe....
Ahh the Pack Rat mode, I was stock piling materials as I was prepping to build my place which even included a couple of storage bays & my on-site sea can. But I started from scratch which even meant clearing part of the forest to put my house. Worst part was stock pilling my insulation. I only used "Foam Board", PolyISO, HD-EPS and XPS sheets which took up so much space it was nuts. I designed and built my home myself, only the FPSF (frost protected slab foundation)and the roof "finishing" was done by sub-contractors. Well that and the "big" excavation work which required serious machinery and 28 Tri-Axles of crushed packing (driveway + building pad).

Hang out here and you'll gain a heap of knowledge and be able to make a wise & solid decision by the time spring rolls around.
Have Fun.

I'm up near Algonquin Park... so... tuned into the local climate... hehehe....
Ahh the Pack Rat mode, I was stock piling materials as I was prepping to build my place which even included a couple of storage bays & my on-site sea can. But I started from scratch which even meant clearing part of the forest to put my house. Worst part was stock pilling my insulation. I only used "Foam Board", PolyISO, HD-EPS and XPS sheets which took up so much space it was nuts. I designed and built my home myself, only the FPSF (frost protected slab foundation)and the roof "finishing" was done by sub-contractors. Well that and the "big" excavation work which required serious machinery and 28 Tri-Axles of crushed packing (driveway + building pad).

Hang out here and you'll gain a heap of knowledge and be able to make a wise & solid decision by the time spring rolls around.
Have Fun.
My wife and i almost pulled the trigger on a complete build. Cutting a road, clearing etc. This property just kinda fell into our laps. Was left un-attended for just over 4yrs..complete gut job but at least there is a roof over our heads...just have a ton of mice to clear out. Good call on the foam board insulation we are using the same.

Just a quick comment on mice...

Our RVs were overrun with mice. We tried repellent, traps, etc. The motorhome engine compartment could be cleared out one day, and a fresh nest built overnight. It seemed every area they got in that we blocked, they found another.

The miracle occurred when I got permanent off-grid power to the RVs 24/7. 4W light bulbs discourage any nesting or lingering. yes, they still got in, and we would find 1-2/month in traps, but they were reduced from outright invaders to a minor nuisance.

I got my foams from Commercial Roofers as this is not retail material.
Walls have 5.25" thick HD-EPS-II Foam. (4'x4' T&G sheet) Cement truck went over 1 piece and only left a 3/4" deep impression. It is DENSE.
Roof (Cathedral ceilings) 3.5" & 4" thick (4'x8' sheets) PolyISO between rafters.
FPSF Foundation got 4" HD-XPS under & up the sides, code requires 2".

PITA to put into a framed structure, SERIOUSLY time consuming and Blue Air generator ! My Bldg inspector never encountered such a build so he made me do it this way... He does not do that to anyone else now. He's been educated. ;-)

You can do almost as well using ROXUL Rockwool insulation. Bug HATE IT because it gets into their shells. Rodents can stand it either, too prickly and hard for them to get through, unlike craptastic Fiberglass. Rockwool is also Hydrophobic it will not retain or wick moisture unlike FGlass and it will not settle like FGlass either. Easy to work with and cut, press fits into cavities really well.

BTW: Markup on ISO & Foam sheets to Retail from Commercial wholesale is on average 600-700% ! I am NOT KIDDING ! It's a HUGE Big Box profit point. Hence why I got all of mine from a Commercial Roofing company that I knew, as they use the Thick stuff on commercial building roofs which is simply not available retail. I paid $8 per sheet for 4"thick 4'x8' PolyISO. My EPS Foam in the walls, was $10 per sheet, 4'x4'x5.25" thick. Could not have built my home with "Retail" crap as the cost would have easily been "psycho nuts". I would have used ROXUL otherwise. BTW: Roxul Comfort Board is also marvelous as a thermal break layer on the exterior between sheathing & the siding and it makes a big difference !

I'm inside a Mixed Forest, critters gallore !, only the chippies chew on some of the foam IF they can get at it.
The small Sonic Rodent Busters DO WORK, I did not believe it till I saw it in action. There are some crap ones out there.
If you want to eliminate the mice, a Bucket Trap is best and without any toxins, you can chuck the dead mice in the bush without concern.

The winter temps there can get wicked cold

My thought was that if i could run with just a few batteries i would take them home to keep warm.

I don’t think you need to take them home you just cannot charge LiFePO4 below freezing.

Theoretically they could live at the cabin and even charged be while you are there and they are warmed up above freezing.

I got my foams from Commercial Roofers as this is not retail material.
Walls have 5.25" thick HD-EPS-II Foam. (4'x4' T&G sheet) Cement truck went over 1 piece and only left a 3/4" deep impression. It is DENSE.
Roof (Cathedral ceilings) 3.5" & 4" thick (4'x8' sheets) PolyISO between rafters.
FPSF Foundation got 4" HD-XPS under & up the sides, code requires 2".

PITA to put into a framed structure, SERIOUSLY time consuming and Blue Air generator ! My Bldg inspector never encountered such a build so he made me do it this way... He does not do that to anyone else now. He's been educated. ;-)

You can do almost as well using ROXUL Rockwool insulation. Bug HATE IT because it gets into their shells. Rodents can stand it either, too prickly and hard for them to get through, unlike craptastic Fiberglass. Rockwool is also Hydrophobic it will not retain or wick moisture unlike FGlass and it will not settle like FGlass either. Easy to work with and cut, press fits into cavities really well.

BTW: Markup on ISO & Foam sheets to Retail from Commercial wholesale is on average 600-700% ! I am NOT KIDDING ! It's a HUGE Big Box profit point. Hence why I got all of mine from a Commercial Roofing company that I knew, as they use the Thick stuff on commercial building roofs which is simply not available retail. I paid $8 per sheet for 4"thick 4'x8' PolyISO. My EPS Foam in the walls, was $10 per sheet, 4'x4'x5.25" thick. Could not have built my home with "Retail" crap as the cost would have easily been "psycho nuts". I would have used ROXUL otherwise. BTW: Roxul Comfort Board is also marvelous as a thermal break layer on the exterior between sheathing & the siding and it makes a big difference !

I'm inside a Mixed Forest, critters gallore !, only the chippies chew on some of the foam IF they can get at it.
The small Sonic Rodent Busters DO WORK, I did not believe it till I saw it in action. There are some crap ones out there.
If you want to eliminate the mice, a Bucket Trap is best and without any toxins, you can chuck the dead mice in the bush without concern.
I have been using the bucket traps for the mice..man have i been catching a lot.
Can't wait to get the old insulation out so the buggers have no where to hide.
My wife works for a construction company so i believe the insulation may come at no cost however it is not 5in thick. I believe it around 3in. The roxul would be hands down easier however not free. With all the stuff that needs to be done free is good, plus its just a seasonal place.
It sounds like you have built yourself a quality built place that you can be proud of.
Perhaps in the future i can ask your input on some things.

Cheers
Stu

Back