diy solar

diy solar

Hello from Canada

hiddenemailer

Hi, I'm From British Columbia in Canada.
I have a CompSci background and worked in IT for over 20 years but i'm ignorant and a complete newb to electronics, batteries etc. but I'm willing and want to learn.

I'm not ready to do solar (maybe in the next few years?)

my current goal is figuring out the best/most affordable option to upgrade my future mobility scooter to lifepo4
I approved for coverage by my province for a mobility scooter for my disability, due to my weight they ordered a Pride Maxima 4-Wheel.
googling it looks like it has a S-Drive controller and a 650W motor and is normally powered by two 12 two NF-22 GEL 58AH batteries.

due to the chip/supply shortage they say its going to be a couple months, they also mention that they do not cover batteries so I need to supply them out of pocket, ideally I want more range than the "up to 19miles" the two NF-22 GEL 58AH batteries can provide (says Deep cycle (AGM or gel cell type recommended) but I see on online people have used lifepo4 batteries for lighter weight & longer range.

so in the mean time I want to research the most cost effective way to shove as many AH in the original two NF-22 GEL 58AH battery spots under the seat. to increase range.
I figure since im on the hook for batteries regardless of SLA (gel or agm) or lithium/lifepo4 and high quality SLA look to be 250CAD a piece.
so even gong SLA it looks like im dropping $500 ( $386 USD) I figure it might be worth it to pay the $1000+ or whatever more and get lifepo4 the bat since i'm Saving on not having to buy the scooter anyway.

also if possible I would want more speed than the maximum 5.8mph because I live 8 miles out of town and while I wont mind the 1hr 1/2 commute each way, if I can increase that speed as well (on the high end, I still want it to be able to be slower for regular usage) it would be even better.

anyway Will's youtube videos cover a lot of battery stuff so I figured joining the forums would be good for learning.

thanks

Welcome.
Only way to get more speed is push higher voltage. Unless you replace the motors… I’ve tinkered with bike kits, and scooters, and I’m learning on a hoverboard, I read you can take the motors out, install a dual wheel controller, and have a SPEEDSTER scooter with a bit of skill… I found a decent scooter with a 25.2V lithium ion pack in it, I’m planning to overvoltage to 36V, and push hard with a dual motor controller… if I ever get time.

I also picked up a few newpowa mowers, and their battery pack comes full of two 9Ah sla’s so I’m packing a 12P7S pack, and oughta get around 33Ah 29V… should mow better and longer.

In the space of two 58Ah cells, you should be able to fit 160Ah with LFP cells…

Back