diy solar

diy solar

Hello from down under

vk2emp

Got into solar when a mate bought a 200W folding panel with a crappy pwm controller on the back. Did my research and settled on a victron 100/20 for his setup. Wired the panels in series and his AGM's charge a lot quicker now.

Since seeing Will's videos, in an ever expanding quest to learn as much as I can about system building and maintenance, and yes I have made mistakes (buying 4 CALB CA180FL's from a local supplier instead of getting a better deal on bigger cells from alibaba).

Presently I have the following stuff set up:
Victron 150/35, connected to 500W of Monocrystalline panels, keeping the CALB cells topped up. I have another 1500W of panels for when I expand to a 48V system.
Victron 48/3000, patiently waiting till I get a 48V bank
A giant ups connected to 16! SLA batteries, this system is going to be retired once the 48V solar is commissioned. The batteries are stuffed
A raspberry pi setup to monitor the batteries and solar charge controller. A quick test with the inverter on the ups bank shows that also works as well and shows up on the 7" touch screen.

Since mine is a house setup, I will need to implement a way of charging the batteries that can be controlled by the BMS I have chosen to use, which will be the REC SI BMS (it talks victron).

My setup is NOT cheap, and I don't have any problems with folks doing it on the cheap, I just like the victron gear. The CALB CA180FL's will be repurposed as a portable camping pack, with a spare 100/20 charge controller, 270W panel, and a Dali BMS. Since the mac draw will be 25A, a 50A Dali should be fine.

Background:
ham radio operator, was taking stuff apart at age 7, and playing with electronics at age 10.

Great progression, cheap folders and fodder control to victron and calbs!

Welcome to the forums vk2emp! Glad to see you're still taking stuff apart, hopefully we'll see some of your stuff on the show 'n tell forums soon!

Yes once I start construction of the "power tower" and its not just a pile of parts on a cheap ebay shelf, I'll post a photo. Right now my test installation is "not fit for viewing" :D

Im in Aus too mate and just got 4 X 206 amp hour cells -im trying to charge them in parallel.

I was struggling with a 15A hobby charger until I discovered the ease of charging with a good quality power supply. My 40A supply for my radios is adjustable, and made short work of charging the cells.

Ive been using a 8 amp buck converter but Im running it at 5 amp and 4 volts and it doesnt seem to be getting my 206 ah cells very far. Im in Brisbane.

I'd like to see some screenshots of the raspberry pi monitors!

Thanks for joining and sharing!

When I do my build in the coming months (after my cells arrive) you'll get to see the fancy little pi monitor :)

Back