diy solar

diy solar

Hello from Greenwell Point, NSW, Australia

Kit_L

Another member of a forum I belong to (trawlerforum.com) recommended this site and also mentioned that he purchased all his LiFePo4 batteries and ancillary equipment from vendors here, and he could not be happier.

I (with help from Outback marine and an electrician friend who is turning away from industrial/domestic to marine electrics) designed a system for a local shipwright, and he is happy with the results. His was based around AGM batteries.

My last boat had a single Canadian 440W panel, a Victron inverter–charger, Victron MPPT controller, a smart meter and shunt, and 8 x 6V golf cart house battery bank (450ah). I am sure I can do better the next time around, with everyone's help. We are not ready to design and build the new electrical system yet; we have just sold the old boat and bought a new boat (12m/40' power catamaran). We are planning on building and installing a hard top bridge cabin above the main saloon; there are two helm stations (one main cabin; one on the bridge). I want to replace the current 'canvas and clears' bridge the vessel presently has, and once we have fitted the hardtop bridge cabin, its roof will be a perfect place to install two 440W panels.

Lots of study ahead!

Back