diy solar

diy solar

Hello From Illinois

spudbudy

Hello Gang, I'm been lurking about different places gathering as much information as my brain will absorb.
I have finally bought a 37 foot fifth wheel trailer and I am looking forward to putting together a rock solid solar setup.
Plans are to go fulltime later next year so putting together my wish list of all things solar.

Since it's fall almost winter any install plans are not going to happen this year. My first item is going to be a
KISAE DMT1250 DC to DC with MPPT controller charger. I figure this will give me a chance to charge my batteries down the road with
the ability to add solar down the road. Currently have 200AH of wet cell deep cycle batteries with plans on Lithium in the future.
I have a AiLi battery monitor as a first step in the equation. I will be doing the installation by myself slowly of course safety first.
Any comments, questions, concerns that I should be made a where of?

You can't hurt my feelings, so feel free to be honest.

Last edited:
Determine peak watts, running watts, and Wh/day for the appliances you plan to operate.
That will help you size the things you put in.

"DC to DC charger" sounds like something to charge house batteries from vehicle alternator while limiting load so as to not kill it, which is good.
Make sure it will support your future lithium.
Is 12V, 24V, or 48V in your future?

Got generator?

Is the breakaway system integrated with your wet cells.
Is there an existing 12 volt "house" system?
Do you have a shore power and converter setup already?

Hi there, I have not done a proper energy audit as of yet. We have not had enough time in the trailer this year to get a good
feel for what we will be using. I've installed a softstart on the main AC unit with future plans for the 2nd one. Research is what takes most of my days sometimes. With that said the KISAE dc to dc charger will accept solar up to 600 watts or so. My current plan is to go 12 volts. I have no plans to buy or use any generator, so solar will be doing the heavy lifting in between the DC to DC charger filling in.

Is the breakaway system integrated with your wet cells.
Is there an existing 12 volt "house" system?
Do you have a shore power and converter setup already?
Hello, Yes the breakaway is wired hot to the house battery, 12 volts. I have the stock shore power and converter setup. Which is not compatible with lithium batteries.

Absorption cycle fridge is a huge electric draw, but can run on propane.
Compressor type fridge uses much less power.
Water (or brine) bottles in the freezer ride through times without power cheaper than batteries.
I believe in keeping batteries to a minimum, using power when it is produced. How to do that is the trick.

Many people here like lithium. I like AGM for my fixed application, and others use wet-cell forklift batteries to get better capacity and life for the money.

Hello, Yes the breakaway is wired hot to the house battery, 12 volts. I have the stock shore power and converter setup. Which is not compatible with lithium batteries.
The breakaway has to work.
Is the house battery being charged by a the little 7 pin umbilical cord?

As far as the converter is concerned it probably will probably work with lithium batteries but an ul-458 listed inverter/charger makes it redundant. What is the model # for the converter?

Back