diy solar

diy solar

Hello from L.A. (lower Alabama) Ready for large RV build

Boondock Saint

Solar Enthusiast
Hello all!

I've been following Will Prowse and others for over 2 years, studying design considerations etc. Last year I bought a 30' Jayco Greyhawk and I'm ready for pull the trigger on the solar project. In general I want the most solar panel on the roof as possible (I'm not up there to get a tan) and 16/32 of the newer higher rated LiFePO4 @280ah etc.

I'm not doing an audit, I boondock fulltime and travel to different states, WFH etc. My rig is being built out for overlanding and fail-safes, redundancy.

More recently I've been following some of your interesting threads on purchases from China suppliers and links to USA based resellers.

I hope that I can avail of your experiences and SME opinions on putting together a kick-ass solar system with the most bang I can put onboard. I'll try to not over tax you with newbie questions with regard to design, product selection or consults.

THANKS in advance!

Cheers

Attachments

• GREYHAWK ROOF MEASUREMENTS.jpg
    GREYHAWK ROOF MEASUREMENTS.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201209_133118.jpg
    20201209_133118.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 7
Looks like you have some roof top Tetris in your future. Do yourself a favor and use the biggest solar panels you can instead of a dozen 100w panels if at all possible.

Thanks and roger that. I've been researching the 400w to 600w panel sizes and costs this morning. Agree on the tetris, I may have to buy 3 sizes . . . S-M-L.

THANKS, I plan to start a thread in the proper sub forum for information requests. My priority will be panels, then battery system voltage, then CC to suit the requirements.

I purchased 32 cells from Michael, so now the slow boat wait.

I'm leaning toward a 48v solution and ready to buy solar panels and CC or AIO etc.

It seem to me that I really need to purchase the panels and know the parameters before I can purchase the other major products.

So I'm currently playing tetris and contemplating removing my 2 skylights is it would better accommodate more or larger panels for the absolute most solar bang I can fit and buy.

Does this order of planning and logistics sound right to you folks?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
It seem to me that I really need to purchase the panels and know the parameters before I can purchase the other major products.
Its good to shop for panels next but make sure there is a suitable SCC that you like before actually purchasing. Sometimes the panel Voc and number of panels becomes unworkable without a ridiculously big/spendy SCC.

Agreed, but there's flexibility on the S/P and V/I and I can do multiple CC if need be.

I buy a CC and the panels don't add up, I have to RMA, purchase more or back-peddle.

I guess at least if I have a potential panel selction I can match those specs against potential CC or AIO before I make the purchase.

Back