diy solar

diy solar

Hello from Sunny Tucson, Arizona!

mstjmc

I finally decided I needed some help building a solar system for my converted van as I have zero electrical experience and am on a fixed income. I do have plenty of sunshine I can harvest for power. Currently I am building a mini evap cooler so I can sleep in my van and get out of the old house I have been living in. I want to hit the road, become a nomad and explore this beautiful country. I don't need a large system as I don't think I'll be using any large appliances. Perhaps something small and secure. I appreciate this forum and all who congregate here. I am especially thankful to Will Prowse for showing me the way to energy independence. <3

Welcome to the forum. People have been helpful to me on some choices, and there doesn’t seem to be much that someone here hasn’t already tried! Will’s videos are a great source for doing exactly what you’re looking to do, and he has several beginner-level, easy to build systems on his YouTube channel, the Mobile Solar web site, and in his book.

Good luck!

Thank you RickP! I just received Will's book from Amazon. I have also watched many of his vids. I'm so happy to have experienced guides when trying to choose which components to purchase. Like the MPPT controller, I almost bought the 20amp but wanted to upgrade to the 40amp just in case I decide to go with a larger array in the future. I certainly do not want to end up wasting money on items I can't use or become obsolete. Being that money is tight for me right now I am trying to build a system I can expand on as I get the funds. Recently someone told me to start with a battery. Problem is I can't really afford the Battleborn right now. Champagne taste on a beer budget! Where to start?

Welcome mstkmc ? great place with loads of great advise.
I’m about 35 miles east of you toward the south valley of the Little Rincons.
Gettin hot out here Evaps are working well right now at least til those monsoons come calling. LOL

Hello MrNatural22! Thank you! You're in a gorgeous part of the Sonoran Desert! Rugged out there! I'm in town. Trying to escape the heat and the smoke! The fires have been burning on the Santa Catalina's for over a week! I can't say I have ever seen any fires in the Rincons? I've lived in Tucson since 1971! Stay safe friend! <3

Yeah the fire is pretty bad. They’re trying to also save Summerhaven from a repeat of 2002. The smoke has made its way out here in the past few days blowing over the Rincons and sometime heavy haze as we look north. Scary because the fire season has only just begun. ?

I remember! It's just awful! I can't breathe! I got some footage of the fire after they put it out over by Pusch Ridge. Then it started higher up toward Mt Bigelow. I have been recording the nightly on the allsky cam from the UofA observatory, some strange goings on there in the middle of the night!
They had to evacuate, the cam was down two nights.

My buddy in Tucson has kept me up on the fire, just horrible.

Back to your question, step one is figuring out your power needs for a 24 hour span then building a system that gets you there with 2-3 days of autonomy.

Have you selected an evap unit yet? Refrigeration needs??

My buddy in Tucson has kept me up on the fire, just horrible.

Back to your question, step one is figuring out your power needs for a 24 hour span then building a system that gets you there with 2-3 days of autonomy.

Have you selected an evap unit yet? Refrigeration needs??
Hi JoeHam! I have not been able to really get out on the road yet. After spending a month building the conversion came the covid, the lockdown, the riots. I look back now and think had I more courage...anyway I do not know what my needs will be in the way of power. I am guessing I will need a small 12v fridge, my mini evap which runs on usb, a laptop a few LED lights and a battery charger for gadgets such as a camera and flashlight? It's difficult to say right now what more I could possibly need. I really want to go minimalist. I watched a couple of Wills vids about those aluminum case batteries forgot what their called, LiFeP04? There are so many to choose from. I'll probably end up going cheap. Of course if the Bluetti AC200 comes out anytime soon that would be the one Id want. He gave a really good review on that one. Supposedly, they are offering a 45% off for crowdfunding or early bird purchase? That would be really great!

Bluetti is the opposite of cheap.

It’s hard work but you really need to figure out what you need to run before you spend a penny on batteries.

Once you have a target there will be folks here who can help you hit it.

Bluetti is the opposite of cheap.

It’s hard work but you really need to figure out what you need to run before you spend a penny on batteries.

Once you have a target there will be folks here who can help you hit it.
Bluetti is having a crowdfunding, or a presale sale. If you have $999 (which I do not) you can be the first to order one! Also they are supposedly giving away an AC200 and the smaller one the AC50S in 7 days, 38 minutes! Good luck to you if you enter to win one! I think for now, I'll just go with the Jackery and get on the road. As I said all I really need it for is my homemade mini evap and a recharge for my devices. I bought a 250W inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter and, a 150W Jackery, all I need now is a solar panel, I think an 80W will be enough for now. Oh and a charge controller too! The valley of Tucson has been steeped in smoke from the ongoing fires in the Santa Catalina Mountains. I need to get out, I can't breathe!

here is a 12v 100 ah for $650:

no personal experience with it

Thanks Joe! That's a pretty good price. I'll look into it. I'll be starting with the Jackery, I still plan on building a system, but in the meanwhile, I just want to get on the road, I was going to leave back in March then all the trouble began. On and on! Tik-tok. It's now or never.

Wow! Pretty snazzy battery! Plus the outfit will build to suit! Fantastic lead! Thanks again!

Seeing You are in Arizona. You might wish to check out Santan Solar located in Chandler, Az (they have a website). They have inexpensive solar panels, and kits. I believe the 250 watt solar kit is about $170. Looks like the kit is complete but for the battery. Also there's a You Tube channel that has a bunch of information about inexpensive solar systems, and 12 volt accessories for vans and RVs that You might find helpful. It also has tons of information about living in a van. The site is CheapRVLiving. Good Luck.

Seeing You are in Arizona. You might wish to check out Santan Solar located in Chandler, Az (they have a website). They have inexpensive solar panels, and kits. I believe the 250 watt solar kit is about $170. Looks like the kit is complete but for the battery. Also there's a You Tube channel that has a bunch of information about inexpensive solar systems, and 12 volt accessories for vans and RVs that You might find helpful. It also has tons of information about living in a van. The site is CheapRVLiving. Good Luck.
Hi Dash! That sounds great! Thank you! I'll look it up! So far, the Jackery is powering my homemade mini evap cooler just fine as long as I can get to an outlet to charge it up. True freedom for me will come when I get a solar power system in place. #Vanlife

Hi Dash! That sounds great! Thank you! I'll look it up! So far, the Jackery is powering my homemade mini evap cooler just fine as long as I can get to an outlet to charge it up. True freedom for me will come when I get a solar power system in place. #Vanlife
That's great, and using the Jackery will make it easier to measure the electricity You use.

Yes CheapRVLiving I have probably watched every one of their videos Dash! Great channel! Also, After the holiday I will be hitting the road, a trial run. Just to see what I do and do not need to carry. lol! Ive too much stuff in the van right now! I am also planning on looking into that SanTan Solar you mentioned. Thanks again friend! <3

Back