diy solar

diy solar

Hello from SW England

-g-g-g-

Just a quick hello and a question or two.

New to forums, slow with using the inertnet, I'm a genX old git with little patience.
V. slow connection and limited data, viewed mostly over a 5" screen. Too mean to pay for more and little point when vids play at 480 or downloads are outrun by slugs.

Best posts/resources about switching from my aging Pb Rolls to DIY Li? [yes, I will/have been work/ing my way through the obvious]. Hence finding this forum via YouTube.

Best suppliers to UK? AliExpress experiences?
[I've been buying components regularly for several years so am au fait with the good, bad & ugly]

Hmm, thought an edit is due. Didn't really explain myself..

I'm specifically interested in sizing of Li battery to my system. Presently 3.75kW max via 2x 60A M/star MPPT & 60A onboard inverter MPPT with 1kW [in a hurricane] wind.
My FLA S500EX Rolls are 357Ah 20Hr, so approx 7.5kWh.
Tons of charge in summer but November til February can be less than a days power if no sun or decent wind.

I will build, not buy a battery as I have limited funds [part time work only and intrinsically lazy].

How do lithium compare to lead performance wise from real world data?

I'm running a washing machine (minus the heating element - external hot fill), AAA energy fridge-freezer, low power 1kW kettle, a water pump & pressure set, occasional power tools including a 1.5HP planer thicknesser and a 2HP table saw [needs to be manually spun up before applying power using a wheel in a drill- think donkey engine], several options of vacuum cleaner from 350W to 1100W, sometimes a 180A mig welder [100mm max weld before the inverter shuts off], lighting, bread machine/mixer, cement/compost mixer and oh so much more.
Basically a standard home, albeit power is a bit more considered and calculated.

Help save my 40Gb data and point me at the best, most current info or marvel me with your expertise and experience.

Thank you

Last edited:
Back