diy solar

diy solar

Hello from Switzerland/Paraguay

Paraterra

Hello All

I' from Switzerland and planning to move this year to a rural area in Paraguay. I will be building my main place with shipping containers and want to add a solar system. At this location I have grid access, so very likely I will go with a hybrid system (hybrid sources, no grid back feeding). I'm also planning a small cabin a bit further out and might add a smaller off grid setup there as well.
The options/choices of components are limited in Paraguay and/or the delivery is difficult. That's why I decided to pre build my system in Switzerland and ship it by sea together with my belongings when I do the final move.
My rough system design looks as following
- I got an interesting deal on Trina 335W solar panels: just had to buy a whole palette (30 pcs); trying to figure out how many I'll keep and the rest I'll try to sell
- planning to get MPP PIP hybrid inverters. Thinking about 5048GK, 5048MGX or 7248-MAX
- getting quotes about LiFePo4 Batteries 2x 16S
- no decision yet on which BMS
- Relays or SSRs for a pre charge circuit
Right now I'm doing a deep dive into the solar topic and really appreciate all the info and answer on this forum.

Welcome to the forums!

Moving to Paraguay sounds like quite the adventure! Please keep us posted on your build and best of luck!

Welcome to the forums!

Moving to Paraguay sounds like quite the adventure! Please keep us posted on your build and best of luck!
I have been back forth between Switzerland - Paraguay the last 10 years staying there up to 8 months at times. Now the point is reaching to make a more final move. It has been an adventure. Some challenges but for me personally over all it is pretty cool.
I like to build and experiment (permaculture and sustainable technics) and the rural area offers big freedom in this area.

After surfing through the forums and reading tons of experiences of other my design slowly takes shape:

- I already have 30 Trina 335Wp, 40.7 Voc, 34 Vmp Panels; probably will use 24 of those (2 systems as described below)

For the rest I'm considering
- MPP PIP 5048MK or Axpert King hybrid Inverters 4000W solar input 145 max Voc, 60-115Vmp; connecting to 12 Panels 3s 4P
I wanted to go with high PV Voltage models 8048MAX or 5048GM/MGX, but figured out that they feed the grid in certain circumstance (SUB mode & sudden drop of a high load); which s a NOGO for me
- 16s1P LiFePo4 Battery 280 or 300Ah; still looking at offers
- Heltec Smart BMS 200A

Will try to finalise my decision in the next 2 weeks and start ordering the part

I would keep all 30 panels. Even if you don't use all of them, you likely will not be able to replace any if something breaks. Always nice to have spares, and I am guessing the cost to ship x30 will not be much different than x24.

Back