diy solar

diy solar

Hello from the Sussex, UK

My Brother in law has recently purchased a cheap wind turbine to add to his homemade solar / battery setup, but it's producing poor results. Does anyone have a recommendation of a wind turbine that is worth the money?

I have an update on the solar stuff, I'll get the details and report back.

My Brother in law has recently purchased a cheap wind turbine to add to his homemade solar / battery setup, but it's producing poor results. Does anyone have a recommendation of a wind turbine that is worth the money?

I have an update on the solar stuff, I'll get the details and report back.
Wind turbines need to be about 20feet above anything within 100’ to properly function...

As you probably know, lots of people who sail in the Channel have wind generators. I don't know how much power they get from them, but if you're doing this for the fun of it there should be plenty of info available locally. The issue is, where would you put one so that the wind isn't obstructed. Where I am - Cowes - we might be able to put one on the roof, but I'm not sure that it would be worth the effort, or what the Cowes Council and the neighbours would think.

Last edited:
As you know, the gentleman who started this thread lives on the English Channel. I've spent a lot of time on the Isle of Wight, just off Southampton to his west. @snoobler's observations on the solar conditions (post #4) gave me a chuckle. If one has a farm, wind is the obvious choice, but I doubt that it's practical in a residential area. I'm curious to know whether he went ahead with this.
I know the area well as we used to have an annual pilgrimage to the Brighton Sprints, and I'd visit Hove for; well best to keep quiet about what I was up to there. ;)

Reactions: reg
Back