diy solar

diy solar

Help balancing

OK. New power supply installed. This one will not input anything below 3.6V, but OK at 3. 65V

Does that sound correct?

Last edited:
To put it another way. What current should I expect at 3.57 volts. 1/2A seems low to me. Are my cells knackered?

To put it another way. What current should I expect at 3.57 volts. 1/2A seems low to me. Are my cells knackered?
Current will depend on the quality of circuit regulation. I think we would expect that if voltage is sagging as shown, the amps should be close to full rating. However that does not always happen and may take more than 0.100 droop to trigger full current.

Do verify the amps control knob is adjusted to provide full rating. At the same time don't override the cap on voltage.

Also check the connection to the batteries. Most included leads are a bit undersized and use alligator clips. Best to make leads with #10 wire and ring terminals. The voltage drop can be checked with your multimeter on the battery terminal and compare to the power supply output terminals.

3.569 on psu
Current will depend on the quality of circuit regulation. I think we would expect that if voltage is sagging as shown, the amps should be close to full rating. However that does not always happen and may take more than 0.100 droop to trigger full current.

Do verify the amps control knob is adjusted to provide full rating. At the same time don't override the cap on voltage.

Also check the connection to the batteries. Most included leads are a bit undersized and use alligator clips. Best to make leads with #10 wire and ring terminals. The voltage drop can be checked with your multimeter on the battery terminal and compare to the power supply output terminals.
3.568 on battery 3.469 on psu. Current set to 9A.

3.57V @ fluctuating current between 0.1 and 0.4 on psu

Adjusting the psu to
3. 8V gives me full current, but obviously, I don't want to damage the cells.

Last edited:
I have 7 parrallel cells if that makes any difference..

The second set are taking 2.5A at 3.57 V (3.65 on PSU)

Last edited:
Back