diy solar

diy solar

Help choosing inverter? Are there any that talk to the BMS?

TheVoid

I am trying to plan out my battery backed solar system. I currently have an on grid house that I have been transitioning all large loads to be smaller draws (inverter ac, hybrid water heat etc) in the hopes of eliminating large starting currents. I have been researching solar power systems for several years, so I have a pretty good idea of what is needed in terms of panels, but batteries have been changing so fast that all the old inverter options seem like they are no longer viable.

I live in sunny, muggy, hurricane land. My plan for a while was to use SMA equipment with 2 sunny islands in split phase and sunny boys for the panels, and a stack of 6 5kwh batteries. However, it seems that SMA wont talk to the BMS in most batteries? I was also looking at the schneider xw inverter, but their after sales/engineering support was spotty at best several years ago and appears to have not improved.

So my quest is to find an inverter solution that can handle 10-12 kw of panels and overload capacity while talking to the bms so the batteries will not hit cutoffs etc. and can also trigger a generator to start if the grid is down and batteries are low. If schneider actually had a clue and did firmware updates, the xw would be an ideal solution, as it has extensive gen support functions and even has a dedicated ac2 input for a genset.

So what say you, fellow Will Prowse viewers? Anyone have experience with Outback inverters and rack batteries? Is there any new brand inverters that are even aware of gen input?
Thanks in advance

I was also looking at the schneider xw inverter, but their after sales/engineering support was spotty at best several years ago and appears to have not improved.
If schneider actually had a clue and did firmware updates, the xw would be an ideal solution, as it has extensive gen support functions and even has a dedicated ac2 input for a genset.

The XW doesn't have updates often reflects it is a mature and proven performer, for split phase that will power anything, there isn't anything that the XW can't power within a home.

As for support, this class of product isn't for the DYI crowd that lacks knowledge of electrical / electronic systems, they are not going to teach you how to build / install / permit their product, this really applies to all tier 1 manufactures.

Before you buy anything, you need to know your local building codes and for battery powered systems this will likely mean UL9540 listed inverter/battery and they will always have BMS communications, that's part of UL9540

It all comes down to how much are you willing to spend? I’ve gone all in on Victron on my boat, and it’s beautiful equipment. Inverter/charger, solar controllers, BMS, all communicate with each other, are centrally managed, and I can remote access it from anywhere in the world (as long as my LTE router doesn’t go on the fritz).

Also, Victron is friendly to the DIY battery crowd, as there are a number of BMSs that will directly communicate, and others that are supported through a third party RS485 driver. I myself run a REC BMS because it, the victron, and the Wakespeed alternator regulator make everything very nice on my boat.

I’ve gone all in on Victron on my boat, and it’s beautiful equipment. Inverter/charger, solar controllers, BMS, all communicate with each other, are centrally managed, and I can remote access it from anywhere in the world (as long as my LTE router doesn’t go on the fritz).

Sounds like a good fit / nice system for your boat, not a fit for powering a ongrid home size loads in a black-out, OP wants a 10-12 kw sized inverter, not what victron makes.

Sounds like a good fit / nice system for your boat, not a fit for powering a ongrid home size loads in a black-out, OP wants a 10-12 kw sized inverter, not what victron makes.
Last I checked, they make 10kVA quattros that are intended for ESS applications, so yes they do?

Last I checked, they make 10kVA quattros that are intended for ESS applications, so yes they do?

They are not split phase out of the box, one would need an auto transformer of similar size as the unit rating.

I am trying to plan out my battery backed solar system. I currently have an on grid house that I have been transitioning all large loads to be smaller draws (inverter ac, hybrid water heat etc) in the hopes of eliminating large starting currents. I have been researching solar power systems for several years, so I have a pretty good idea of what is needed in terms of panels, but batteries have been changing so fast that all the old inverter options seem like they are no longer viable.

I live in sunny, muggy, hurricane land. My plan for a while was to use SMA equipment with 2 sunny islands in split phase and sunny boys for the panels, and a stack of 6 5kwh batteries. However, it seems that SMA wont talk to the BMS in most batteries? I was also looking at the schneider xw inverter, but their after sales/engineering support was spotty at best several years ago and appears to have not improved.

So my quest is to find an inverter solution that can handle 10-12 kw of panels and overload capacity while talking to the bms so the batteries will not hit cutoffs etc. and can also trigger a generator to start if the grid is down and batteries are low. If schneider actually had a clue and did firmware updates, the xw would be an ideal solution, as it has extensive gen support functions and even has a dedicated ac2 input for a genset.

So what say you, fellow Will Prowse viewers? Anyone have experience with Outback inverters and rack batteries? Is there any new brand inverters that are even aware of gen input?
Thanks in advance
quattro ? several versions of it.

The XW doesn't have updates often reflects it is a mature and proven performer, for split phase that will power anything, there isn't anything that the XW can't power within a home.

As for support, this class of product isn't for the DYI crowd that lacks knowledge of electrical / electronic systems, they are not going to teach you how to build / install / permit their product, this really applies to all tier 1 manufactures.

Before you buy anything, you need to know your local building codes and for battery powered systems this will likely mean UL9540 listed inverter/battery and they will always have BMS communications, that's part of UL9540
The unfortunate thing about the xw pro is the lack of bms communication, or the requirement to run ac coupled (if you want to use lithium batteries) on equipment that was really designed for dc coupling.

From this link
"The following diagrams provide a typical system architecture of the Conext Gateway, XW Pro, and a Li-ion battery with BMS. Currently BMS communication is supported for systems with a single XW Pro inverter and optional AC coupled PV inverters. Systems with multiple XW Pro inverters and DC coupled systems with Conext MPPT solar charge controller not currently available with BMS communication (future release). Systems with multiple XW Pro inverters and/or DC coupling with Conext MPPT solar charge controller may be installed without BMS communications subject to the battery vendor approval of the use-case. A Conext Battery Monitor is recommended for these applications to monitor the battery SOC"

I am well aware of the robustness of their product from my years of following the RE industry. Also, this is far from my first large electrical project, but I would be working with licensed electricians as well.

Last edited:
REC BMS works well with SMA Sunny Island, that is what i use.

REC BMS works well with SMA Sunny Island, that is what i use.
Good to know, however I will not be going DIY for the battery, especially after Will's latest video about passing inspection with batteries.

There are many commercially available batteries that work with SMA. Sony Fortelion is the go if you want the best.
Pylontech if you want cheap.

Back