diy solar

diy solar

Help decoding JBD BMS instructions

Obviously I’ll look for more literature, but I’m guessing hooking it up to a 14s would look similar?
Thanks

So this is my first post so bear with me, however I have a 100A JBD 10S BMS. I wanted to use it for 7s. I went to their website and poked around and found my BMS there, it says it does 7, 8 or 10S. Having a little looksee on the board I noticed if I turn it upside down there's solder points underneath the 10s connector for what appears to be bridging. So I hooked the lead wires up to a test battery pack by connecting the wires that get bridged together (without actually bridging them) and lo and behold, 7s setup working perfectly.
I have a JBD "7s" BMS that's clearly a 10s with configuration applied -- and I'm looking to do the opposite! I actually want to take my 7s and add a cell to make it 8s. But I can't find a guide for this stuff anywhere - the oddly placed jumper between BC3 and BC4 seems arbitrary, as well as bridging BC7-BC9 leaving BC10 free - and thus I can't understand what the pattern would be for 8s (though 10s is obvious - remove all jumpers).

My board is a JBD-SP10S020 v1.4 -- and it appears to be configured identically to yours (using info that only the reseller knows, it seems). It'd be great if anyone that has this info could post it for us to find!

I have a JBD "7s" BMS that's clearly a 10s with configuration applied -- and I'm looking to do the opposite! I actually want to take my 7s and add a cell to make it 8s. But I can't find a guide for this stuff anywhere - the oddly placed jumper between BC3 and BC4 seems arbitrary, as well as bridging BC7-BC9 leaving BC10 free - and thus I can't understand what the pattern would be for 8s (though 10s is obvious - remove all jumpers).

My board is a JBD-SP10S020 v1.4 -- and it appears to be configured identically to yours (using info that only the reseller knows, it seems). It'd be great if anyone that has this info could post it for us to find!
I have not been able to find your exact BMS model instructions online, but I did find a PDF I had downloaded a while back for a JBD-SP10S009 version. I can't promise that this is correct for your BMS, but it should not hurt anything if it is wrong. The worst case is it will show cell voltage errors. It does not show shorting any pins together.

The wiring for 8S mode shows just skipping the 5th and 10th wires in the 11 pin connector.

It shows pin 1 as the red most positive wire and pin 11 as the most negative black wire. Cell 1+ goes to pin 10. Cell 2+ goes to pin 9. Cell 3+ goes to pin 8. Skip pin 7. Cell 4+ goes to pin 6. Cell 5+ goes to pin 5. Cell 6+ goes to pin 4. Cell 7+ goes to pin 3. Then skip pin 2.

Here is an image grab from the PDF.
JBD 8S pin out.PNG

I have not been able to find your exact BMS model instructions online, but I did find a PDF I had downloaded a while back for a JBD-SP10S009 version. I can't promise that this is correct for your BMS, but it should not hurt anything if it is wrong. The worst case is it will show cell voltage errors. It does not show shorting any pins together.

The wiring for 8S mode shows just skipping the 5th and 10th wires in the 11 pin connector.

It shows pin 1 as the red most positive wire and pin 11 as the most negative black wire. Cell 1+ goes to pin 10. Cell 2+ goes to pin 9. Cell 3+ goes to pin 8. Skip pin 7. Cell 4+ goes to pin 6. Cell 5+ goes to pin 5. Cell 6+ goes to pin 4. Cell 7+ goes to pin 3. Then skip pin 2.

Here is an image grab from the PDF.
View attachment 115830
Useful, thanks! However, to confirm its applicability, does it match the existing configuration for 7s? That is, jumpered BC7-BC9 (solder blobs across those pins, appears to be jumpered 2-3-4), as well as jumpered BC3..4 (appears to be 7-8 in the diagram). If it matches what mine has, we can be relatively sure the 8s config matches mine as well.

It seems likely - it matches the pattern in a way I didn't expect. That'll be my first go-to attempt on it -- thanks!

BTW, could you share that PDF? I imagine future archeologists would love to configure for 9s as well, perhaps :)

That PDF is posted on this site under the "Resources" tab

But it does not show the 7S or 9S configuration for comparison.

Very cool. I have gone ahead with my battery & BMS upgrade, and converted it from 7S to 8S by un-soldering BC7 from the (BC7...BC9) solder blob on my board. (Note: the "BC" numbers don't match the schematic above - I'm referring to the board silkscreen which is contiguous with all 11 pins, BC0-...BC10+).

So now we know 7S (1), 8S (2), and 10S (3) configurations, but missing 9S. Still, happy to report that after removing the solder blob, inserting cell 7+/8- there, and configuring the BMS for 8 cells via Bluetooth, it now shows 8 cells on the screen and all is well!
(1) - 7s: jumper BC3-4 together as cell 3+/4- junction, then jumper BC7-BC8-BC9 together as cell 6+/7- junction, and put cell 7+ on BC10
(2) - 8s: jumper BC3-4 together as cell 3+/4- junction, then jumper BC8-BC9 together as cell 7+/8- junction, and put cell 8+ on BC10
(3) - 10s: all wired straight-through as normal (BC0 cell 1-, BC1 cell 1+/2-, ... [...] ..., BC9 cell 9+/10-, BC10 cell 10+).

Last edited:
Back