diy solar

diy solar

Help! Did I ruin the panel?

Darin O.

I though I would put C4 connectors at the controller on the wire coming from the panels so I could disconnect them easier when needed.

I accidentally touched the positive from the panels to the negative from the panels. There was a small spark. Now I’ve got no power coming from the panels (Two 100 watt Renogy panels)

Did I fry the panels? Did I fry something inside those little black boxes on the back of the panels? Is this fixable without buying new panels?

I feel like an idiot

Panels probably fine, diodes (inside those little black boxes) probably not.

They're 10SQ050 diodes; check eBay, they're about 0.20 each.

Shorting a panel shouldn't damage anything, not even the diodes.
Check voltage from panel with a meter. If zero, open circuit somewhere. (or shorted, but not likely)

Is there a fuse on the wires coming from the Panels? Have you tested the voltage at the closest point to the panels?

Tested everything with a meter. You were right, no damage at panels. It was a bad connection at one of the MC4 connectors I had installed on the negative wire coming from the panel. I really appreciate all the responses. I bought and learned to use a multi-meter in this process.

I usually buy MC cables, cut them in half to make pigtails for connections to other things. I don't have a specialized MC crimper yet.
I might make my own cables for the next phase of my project because I'm seeing different prices now and ready-made would cost twice as much.

I've also bought pre-made cables for larger sizes (4/0) that didn't fit my hydraulic crimper, but did my own 2/0.
There are some tradeoffs and choices to do a decent job with what we have available.

If you get an MC4 wrench that may make them easy enough to un-connect.
My earlier panels from mid 2000's had MC3, just a rubber boot and push/pull. A clamshell was available to meet the requirement of a tool to disconnect. I'm considering using those for easy swapping of connections (rearrange some panels to feed something different.) I would put them inside a switch with interlock on the door to ensure they aren't unmated under load.

Be careful with the MC4 connectors, there are lots of poor quality ones out there, and the connections may be loose if you didn't crimp it well.

Back