diy solar

diy solar

Help! Forest River (stone) RV won't accept power from my 240v split-phase 6000w 48v Sungold Inverter

mediesel

Trying to power multiple AC units on my RV
HELP PLEASE. Can't seem to get my Riverstone RV to accept 240v split-phase 6000w AC from my 48v Sungold Inverter when I unplug shore power.

I hooked into the GENERATOR connections, L1, L2, N in the top of the front compartment starboard side. If there is some kind of "generator" display unit switch or button, I haven't found it, or Forest River didn't furnish one. (Thought this was automatic, anyway.)

FYI never got this working with my old original 4000w 12V inverter either!

I do NOT own a generator, rather 3240w of PVs on the RV roof and 4x12V 300ah batteries. (Original 12v batteries and inverter system are intact).

A clue: just reconnecting shore power does NOT restore the RV's AC. I have to SHUT OFF the inverter.

And yes, I have wired houses. Don't worry about me.
Thanks in advance for your help.

If you temporarily wire a 50 amp plug into the inverter you should be able to verify if your trouble is related to the transfer switch or something else in your system. If you have a hardwired EMS it could be causing you trouble depending upon how your ground bonding is setup this issue might affect your transfer switch also. Hopefully someone familiar with Riverstone will chime in and give some more specific help.

Hopefully someone familiar with Riverstone will chime in and give some more specific help.
I’m not that guy but I’m thinking either
a) the gen cables aren’t connected or
b) the inverter isn’t setup correctly if turning off the inverter ‘restores’ power [which indicates pass through shorepower if I’m understanding your setup]

A neighbor down the street had problems with his brand new Riverstone model. I tracked it down to a bad wire in the wall. While I might have been able to fix it, I recommended that it go back to the dealer to be fixed under warranty. Needless to say, I was not impressed with the build quality as I found other issues.

If the inverter is connected to the input side of the transfer switch then turning off the inverter to get shore power to run the air conditioner makes sense. I have a transfer switch in my trailer. The output of the transfer switch goes to the input of the inverter and then the output of the inverter goes to the trailer's main distribution panel. I do have an on-board generator and the ATS works to switch between shore power and generator, not between inverter and shore power.

My WAG is the transfer switch relay default(un-energised) position is shore_power/generator.
The energized position is toward the inverter.

In other words its wired backwards.

Last edited:
My WAG is the transfer switch relay default(un-energised) position is shore_power/generator.
The energized position is toward the inverter.

In other words its wired backwards.
This is what I would check.

Back