diy solar

diy solar

Help! Getting ready for a big trip and having problems with my MPP solar 2424 LV.

station34

I have I have a system in a converted cargo trailer. Parked it for a couple of days and forgot to turn off the inverter. Had a small refrigerator running, needless to say by the time I returned, a couple of days later, the battery was dead. Got the battery charged. Everything seems to be functioning properly. The battery is charging in the 12 volt system works, except when I plugged a 120 volt lamp into a socket it flashes. My entire 120v system is doing the same thing. I can't find anything on the internet about this problem. Is my inverter dead? Is there possibly a reset somewhere? Done the entire system myself using the internet fairly handy but I'm stumped. Anybody out there that can save my upcoming Arizona trip?

Not sure what kind of inverter, but you could try unplugging it from the battery bank and plugging it back on (to try and reset it)?

And when you plug in the lamp and it's actually flickering, check the battery voltage at same time and see if it is staying good and high (and not fluttering down low near the inverter shutoff voltage)...

Beyond that, it could be a bad inverter, may have to ping the manufacturer and see if they can provide any further steps regarding troubleshooting...

Not sure what kind of inverter, but you could try unplugging it from the battery bank and plugging it back on (to try and reset it)?

And when you plug in the lamp and it's actually flickering, check the battery voltage at same time and see if it is staying good and high (and not fluttering down low near the inverter shutoff voltage)...

Beyond that, it could be a bad inverter, may have to ping the manufacturer and see if they can provide any further steps regarding troubleshooting...
Thanks for your reply. I've disconnected the system a couple of times. There's even a reset button on the all-in-one. But nothing seems to help. The light fixture and 120 volt system is not flickering. It is a repeating flash. I thought I might not have the Hertz set correctly on my system but I checked it plus, I'm not getting any errors. Was hoping to avoid contacting the supplier. I haven't heard good things.

Are you using an LED lamp or incandescent? You could try putting a Kill-A-Watt in between and check the output voltage and hz while you have a lamp plugged in, also checking the battery voltage at same time.

I was using an LED, but I checked the light fixture in my garage and it worked fine. I don't have any testing devices.....

The pulsing of the 120v circuit is happening on all outlets. The battery and all in one have battery voltage readouts, but neither of them change during the pulsing. And again, no errors on the all in one.

Is the battery voltage staying above the inverter low-voltage shutoff voltage the whole time while your test lamp is blinking? It should state what the default low-voltage shutoff voltage is in the manual for it, sometimes on a managed inverter the setting is even adjustable.

Are you talking about the LV2424 built-in Inverter, or you also have another inverter connected to the battery bank?
The LV2424 should have shutdown when the battery Voltage reaches the shutdown setpoint you set it to.

Are you talking about the LV2424 built-in Inverter, or you also have another inverter connected to the battery bank?
The LV2424 should have shutdown when the battery Voltage reaches the shutdown setpoint you set it to.

Yeah I think he probably only has the LV2424 inverter, I just forgot when I posted that was the original title of the post, so I wasn't thinking if he had the managed inverter, and gave the generic answer. His should have the adjustable cutoff voltage, being an MPP...

The key point I was trying to get at, is if the battery voltage is staying well above the cutoff voltage parameter, and the light bulb is blinking, then there might be a hard problem with the inverter, and might need to open a support ticket with MPP for some additional steps they might offer to help narrow down the issue (like a bad board that can be replaced or something for example)...

But if it is simply that the battery voltage is fluttering close to the cutoff voltage and inverter shutting off due to that, perhaps it's just a battery problem, and need to get the battery voltage stabilized and retest...

Thanks for your reply. I've disconnected the system a couple of times. There's even a reset button on the all-in-one. But nothing seems to help. The light fixture and 120 volt system is not flickering. It is a repeating flash. I thought I might not have the Hertz set correctly on my system but I checked it plus, I'm not getting any errors. Was hoping to avoid contacting the supplier. I haven't heard good things.
You didn't what you are using for a battery. To me, the whole thing sounds like a battery issue. Have you taken any voltage readings at the battery? Is this a DIY pack or ready made battery. It could be a failing BMS in a ready made battery. Are you running ready made in series?

BTW, what kind of batteries are we dealing with?
Also, it has the rest button on the LV2424? I have never seen one.

Is the battery voltage staying above the inverter low-voltage shutoff voltage the whole time while your test lamp is blinking? It should state what the default low-voltage shutoff voltage is in the manual for it, sometimes on a managed inverter the setting is even adjustable.
It's a 24v Big Battery lithium and the charge is not fluctuating. At least not according to the battery readout or the all in one.

You didn't what you are using for a battery. To me, the whole thing sounds like a battery issue. Have you taken any voltage readings at the battery? Is this a DIY pack or ready made battery. It could be a failing BMS in a ready made battery. Are you running ready made in series?
Running a 24v Big Battery lithium. If it is a battery issue, shouldn't I get an error message on the all in one?

24v Big Battery lithium. The reset button is on the bottom of the unit near the AC connections.
Isn't that the circuit breaker with the black button? I have the LV1212 which is the 12V version of the 2424, and it has circuit breaker in that location.

According to the reading on the battery and all in one, the battery is not fluctuating. I went through all the settings in the 2424LV and nothing is out of whack.

Isn't that the circuit breaker with the black button? I have the LV1212 which is the 12V version of the 2424, and it has circuit breaker in that location.

That's probably what it is. I pushed it and nothing improved. ,

Running a 24v Big Battery lithium. If it is a battery issue, shouldn't I get an error message on the all in one?
I'd still check the AIO battery input voltage with a multimeter at the AIO while the flashing occurs. And ensure connections are tight.

Zwy and Samsonite801, wanted to update. Hooked up to shore power and switched the AIO to utility mode. The inverter worked fine. Decided to call Big Battery, today, and they were very helpful. Zwy, you were on the right track. While the battery display and AIO display both read 26.5 volts, a multimeter at the AIO input showed the voltage all over the place. Big Battery suggested a BMS reset. I did that and the battery will now not turn on. Big Battery said I now need to recharge. I don't have a charger, so I am ordering one and waiting for delivery. Will give a (hopefully) final update once the battery has been recharged.

OK, so the battery is recharged, but still no inverter. I have checked everything on the battery side. The battery is charged. The voltage display on the battery matches the voltage reaching the AIO terminals. I am getting power to all my 12v appliances and outlets.

I am still getting flashing at the 120v outlets. I finally put a meter on the 120v outlets and I am only getting 12-13 volts! I can't even imagine where that number comes from as the battery and AIO are 24v!

Could I have blown a fuse on the inverter when I ran the battery down? I have pushed the reset or fuse or circuit breaker button on the bottom of the AIO with no results.

So the Arizona trip is a bust. Now I just want it fixed by summer!

Back