diy solar

diy solar

help, help, help

offgriddummie

Hi,
I hope you can help me. I’m an almost 80 year old woman who has read this stuff for a week and still do not know what to do for sure.

I’m a healer that works with energy. (Funny huh?) I work with Spirit and am in the process of healing myself of Stage 4 Leukemia, osteoporosis, disintegrating hips, sugar diabetes, etc. The reasoning is to write the book, “U CAN Heal Yourself”.

As per Spirit, I bought 39 acres in St. Johns, AZ to build an underground dome house for others to come for a week to learn how to heal themselves.

While waiting for money to build this dome, I will be camping up there totally off grid. I need solar power for T50 fridge, lights, my computer and to charge tools and phone, etc. When they bring the shed, they will need power for putting it together. I’m also ordering satellite internet.

I have no camper and my Subaru Crosstrek will be my storage as I sleep in a tent and hope the mountain lions do not get me. The solar panel will have to set on the ground.

Now that you have heard my whole story, ha; here is my list of what I think I need. Do I need to make changes in my list? I can only pick up so much weight so most things will stay in car.

1. Your book

2. 405W 144 Split Q-cell Silver Bifacial Solar Panel by Hanwha Q $223. On ground on a white sheet They have a 12V 100AH LiFePower4 Battery by EG4 available.

3. Solar Rich 40amp MPPT solar charger controller $160

4. 2 - 100amp hour lithium batteries except everyone is out of stock and I need a battery now. $1140 + ship I have a Goal Zero Yeti 400 w/2 20w solar panels I bought for emergency and think it’s crap. Takes 3 days to charge w/solar. Does not have a charge cord for ac. Could I order everything and while waiting for the 2 batteries, use the Goal Zero?

5. GoWISE Power PS1004 3000W Continuous 6000W Surge Peak Power Pure Sine Wave Inverter with Starter Cables and 4 Output Sockets, Updated Model, Grey, Standard + 4 yr protection $416
Or Krieger 3000 Watts Power Inverter 12V to 110V, Modified Sine Wave Car Inverter, Dual 110 Volt AC Outlets, Hardwire Kit, DC to AC Converter with Installation Kit - MET Approved to UL and CSA Standards $300

6. Renogy battery monitor $97

7. Standard & large size crimp connector sets

8. TEMCo Hammer Lug Crimper Tool V2 with holes for bench mounting (Crimps Battery and Welding cables 8 AWG TO 4/0 Wire Gauge) $24

I don’t understand the fuses and connections. Inverter comes w/remote and battery cables.

I don’t understand these battery stations or generators. Ex: Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 1000, 1002Wh Solar Generator (Solar Panel Optional) with 3x110V/1000W AC Outlets, Solar Mobile Lithium Battery Pack for Outdoor RV/Van Camping, Emergency $1,000
Would this replace the 2 batteries and inverter on my list?

I am so confused and you seem to be the most knowledgeable person I have seen on many subjects. Please help me.
Thank you.

Sincerely,
Gloria Bell

Will himself does not do any consulting on solar systems. At least publicly.

The only thing I can add right now would be to remember that the bifacial panel won't do much if it's just laying on the sheet.

It'll need to be up off it so the sun can reflect off said sheet.

If you want to simplify everything a large enough solar generator can save your a lot of headache at the expense of higher cost. It could take the place of two batteries and inverter as you suspect so long as the total power capacity and inverter wattage is sufficient for your needs. At the very least this will likely be enough for your camping.

If you're trying to run power tools and stuff you will likely need to step up to more battery storage and the larger inverter (as you have no doubt surmised), but without knowing what tools and how long the work will be done each day it's very hard to estimate the total battery capacity you need. Power tools tend to be power hungry.

Beyond all of that, I wish you luck with your chosen adventure.

Go for the pure sine wave inverter. I have a 1000 watt modified sine wave inverter that is very good, but it's still MSW. It will work for most of what I need it to, but the MSW part isn't ideal for some devices. It's enough to run a Bosch sabre saw (hand held) when I don't want to fire up the generator. But not enough to run my Bosch router.

Agree with @Short_Shot on the bi-facial panels. For your use, they are a waste of money. If you had an elevated ground mount system, that would be different.

If I was 80 years old (I may FEEL like I'm that old, but I'm only 56) I would probably want an hydraulic crimper not a hammer crimper. Easier, more controlled use. But more money for sure.

I agree that with your needs and your relative inexperience with solar, that an all in one 'solar generator' would seem to make more sense

Your parts list is about $2K and I think you'll need a second solar panel to get by and I'm pretty sure there will still be times when you'll find you need an inexpensive $400 gas inverter/generator to catch back up . . . . and that would mean buying a battery charger to go with it

If I were you, I would look at something like the Bluetti 2Kw generator and then add a pair of 400 watt panels to that. With the Bluetti, you can charge using solar, charge with a gas generator, charge hooking it to your car battery and it's an all in one, simple (relatively) product to use

I think at some point, you'll probably want to add a little gas generator just to top things up, but you can wait and add that once you find it's going to be necessary

Don

How much time have you spent in the St John’s area? It is extremely inhospitable out there.

How much time have you spent in the St John’s area? It is extremely inhospitable out there.
I've been there twice. The first time to buy acreage and it rained and the whole town was dark. Everyone seemed hospitable while I tried to find some food. This last time to get some excavating set up. Everyone so far has seemed nice and friendly.

I've been there twice. The first time to buy acreage and it rained and the whole town was dark. Everyone seemed hospitable while I tried to find some food. This last time to get some excavating set up. Everyone so far has seemed nice and friendly.

I wasn't talking about the people, they're wonderful. I was referring to the environment and terrain. If you don't mind my asking, where are you relocating from?

I wasn't talking about the people, they're wonderful. I was referring to the environment and terrain. If you don't mind my asking, where are you relocating from?
I'm leaving Tucson after 4 yrs to acreage on Bonito Valley Ranch that has hills. I'm a healer and this is the path I am to follow to show others how to heal themselves.

You really need to figure out what you will want to run when you are all set up .
im a big believer in buying Teri one equipment but in you situation
a all in one 24 volt 2000watt inverter charger with some cheep golf cart battery’s and 1000 watt of solar panels should work out ok .
I’ve never talked to any on that said they had to many panels .
You can do this , but from a good dealer that will give you advice to hook up your system .
Golf cart battery’s in the Desert is not the best so you will have to keep them cool .
But should last 3 years and give you time to learn .

Will himself does not do any consulting on solar systems. At least publicly.

The only thing I can add right now would be to remember that the bifacial panel won't do much if it's just laying on the sheet.

It'll need to be up off it so the sun can reflect off said sheet.

If you want to simplify everything a large enough solar generator can save your a lot of headache at the expense of higher cost. It could take the place of two batteries and inverter as you suspect so long as the total power capacity and inverter wattage is sufficient for your needs. At the very least this will likely be enough for your camping.

If you're trying to run power tools and stuff you will likely need to step up to more battery storage and the larger inverter (as you have no doubt surmised), but without knowing what tools and how long the work will be done each day it's very hard to estimate the total battery capacity you need. Power tools tend to be power hungry.

Beyond all of that, I wish you luck with your chosen adventure.
Can I ask your opinion of what I have decided to order?

BLUETTI AC200P Portable Power Station with Solar Panel Included 2000W Solar Generator Kit with 3pcs 200W Foldable Solar Panel, 6 120V AC Outlet Lithium Battery​

The generator is so heavy, I will have to keep it in my car.
Thank you

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 6.56.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 6.56.00 PM.png
    653.5 KB · Views: 4
Respectfully Ms. Bell, I don't feel this is entirely a sound plan.

A small solar system, properly setup, can meet some needs, but not most familiar ones without considerable planning, troubleshooting, expense and heavy work. Bifacial panels are really heavy, probably over 20kg (50lb).

In your circumstances, I would immediately head over to https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/ and sign up.

There is also the Arizona DES.

If you do not have access to a social worker, that should be a priority. If you're not sure what resources are in your area, you can ask a local police station if they're even somewhat competent. PH: 928-337-2440

Being half a country away, I don't know anything about AZ. Bring along a friend for the adventure, it helps.

I know it can be hard to ask for assistance, but it is their calling and profession. Like nurses, part of that involves safeguarding a person's dignity, and we should never insult them by acting otherwise. Whatever resources are available, we all most assuredly want you to have them, and professionals in those agencies are best positioned to make those determinations and act upon them. If you don't, the gov't will just waste it on airlines instead of something useful, like midstream wafer industry.

Otherwise, solar is a fun and useful hobby, and you will find knowledgeable people here.

I agree that with your needs and your relative inexperience with solar, that an all in one 'solar generator' would seem to make more sense

Your parts list is about $2K and I think you'll need a second solar panel to get by and I'm pretty sure there will still be times when you'll find you need an inexpensive $400 gas inverter/generator to catch back up . . . . and that would mean buying a battery charger to go with it

If I were you, I would look at something like the Bluetti 2Kw generator and then add a pair of 400 watt panels to that. With the Bluetti, you can charge using solar, charge with a gas generator, charge hooking it to your car battery and it's an all in one, simple (relatively) product to use

I think at some point, you'll probably want to add a little gas generator just to top things up, but you can wait and add that once you find it's going to be necessary

Don
Thank you for your help. I am ordering: BLUETTI AC200P Portable Power Station with Solar Panel Included 2000W Solar Generator Kit with 3pcs 200W Foldable Solar Panel. It will stay in the car because I can't move it. ha When the shed is done, I will have someone set it up in there and move the panels accordingly. I ordered a 50' extension cord. I hope this works.

am in the process of healing myself of Stage 4 Leukemia, osteoporosis, disintegrating hips, sugar diabetes
This is really sad. Too many times I see people come into the hospital with a late stage malignancy of some sort, that is too far gone to be treated and the patient is palliated, all because at first they spent time on some bogus alternative healing method that has no scientific evidence behind it.
If you truely believe this stuff and are not doing it for just the money, please tell people to seek real medical attention first with proven treatment methods.
After being shown and taken through the real treatment options and warned of the risks of no treatment, the people still want to turn to alternative medicine, sure do whatever they want.
Just please don't drag other people into these bogus schemes and ruin their lives. They all regret it pretty quickly.

Thank you for your help. I am ordering: BLUETTI AC200P Portable Power Station with Solar Panel Included 2000W Solar Generator Kit with 3pcs 200W Foldable Solar Panel. It will stay in the car because I can't move it. ha When the shed is done, I will have someone set it up in there and move the panels accordingly. I ordered a 50' extension cord. I hope this works.
I think you'll be happy with that. This unit uses true LiFePO4 cells which will give you a much longer life (3500+ Life Cycles) than most other solar generators - That's also the reason it's so heavy. Most other units use lighter, cheaper cells with much less life expectancy. It's probably good that it will stay in your car as that will make it harder for someone to steal . . . . unless they steal your car! :ROFLMAO:

It will recharge in 4.5 hours (less time if it's not fully empty) from any 120 volt AC outlet, or a small generator and you can cut that time to 2.5 hours if you buy a second AC adapter and use two of them - Great if you occasionally have an opportunity to top off your charge at a friend's house and really handy to cut down on generator run time should you eventually find the need to buy one

Don

This is really sad. Too many times I see people come into the hospital with a late stage malignancy of some sort, that is too far gone to be treated and the patient is palliated, all because at first they spent time on some bogus alternative healing method that has no scientific evidence behind it.
If you truely believe this stuff and are not doing it for just the money, please tell people to seek real medical attention first with proven treatment methods.
After being shown and taken through the real treatment options and warned of the risks of no treatment, the people still want to turn to alternative medicine, sure do whatever they want.
Just please don't drag other people into these bogus schemes and ruin their lives. They all regret it pretty quickly.
First of all: Everyone has FREE WILL! It's their life and their choices.
I'm sorry you are not able to come out of your medical box to see what is truly available for healing that doesn't destroy the rest of your body. Emotions from the past and present have a lot to do with the health issues. I deal with cleaning them up.
Thank you for your opinion but I will continue to believe in my Spiritual family.

First of all: Everyone has FREE WILL! It's their life and their choices.
I'm sorry you are not able to come out of your medical box to see what is truly available for healing that doesn't destroy the rest of your body. Emotions from the past and present have a lot to do with the health issues. I deal with cleaning them up.
Thank you for your opinion but I will continue to believe in my Spiritual family.
I have to agree with that. I don’t share your views but the mind is everything.

Back